Matimennah738

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_3029.PNG
IMG_3023.JPG
IMG_3037.JPG
What breed are these kittens?

Or what breed do they at least resemble?
I was thinking some sort of Siamese. Maybe lynx point? I honestly don't know the differences.

(no idea who the parent cats are either, got these babies from someone)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, they resemble a lilac lynx point old-style Siamese. In order for them to be pointed, they would have to have some Siamese in their ancestry, and I'd guess that, in their case, it would be a pretty close relative (maybe a parent was a Siamese). They are very cute!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, they are lynx points. "siamese-mixes with tabby" What color is difficult to see as yet, but the tail is quite dark, so liliac may be true. and yes, they had some sort of siamese ancestor from both parents. but we dont know how long back. The point gene is recessive, so it must come from both parents.
This is not ONE kitten but three from the same litter? do you know if there were other, non pointed kittens in the litter?

Anyway, at least one parent was a point, and the other was at least a carrier, but probably a point too.

Tabby is dominant, so we know at least one parent was a tabby.

Liliac is a sort of diluted black, but this nuance isnt common in the broad moggie population, so they may easily had some purebred ancester quite recently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Matimennah738

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_3054.PNG
Yes, they are lynx points. "siamese-mixes with tabby" What color is difficult to see as yet, but the tail is quite dark, so liliac may be true. and yes, they had some sort of siamese ancestor from both parents. but we dont know how long back. The point gene is recessive, so it must come from both parents.
This is not ONE kitten but three from the same litter? do you know if there were other, non pointed kittens in the litter?

Anyway, at least one parent was a point, and the other was at least a carrier, but probably a point too.

Tabby is dominant, so we know at least one parent was a tabby.

Liliac is a sort of diluted black, but this nuance isnt common in the broad moggie population, so they may easily had some purebred ancester quite recently.
Actually, I only have two out of the four or so kittens there were total. I assume they're all from the same litter. (I posted 3 pics but I only have two kittens, my apologies)

The other two kittens were entirely different in color. I still have a screenshot of the original photo sent to me by the person who had found them (excuse the poor quality), I'll attach it here :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, so this gives us in practice a full answer. One parent is a point, one a non point carrier, probably harlequine black and white or grey and white. The little grey tuxedo has the tabby-M on him, I dont see if the black white harlequin carries tabby too. Possibly.

Ah, as both littermates carry white, so your points probably them too carry white - they are "mitted points", but its not visible as yet, as they are fair by themselves in the skin, the point fair color.

White is dominant, so at least one parent had white on himher, and of course, at least half of the kittens has it.

So what we think is liliac is probably simply blue (diluted black) - but MAY be liliac. You will see with time as they darken up some. :)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
A female cat can mate with multiple males while in estrus, so there might be two different fathers of the kittens, which could account for the different appearance.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is true, and this may of course be an alternative explanation, which is true sometimes.
But its not true as often as one would think! It seems most often there is ONE father, even if the female mated with several toms. Most often an understanding of cat hereditary explains nicely the diferent kittens in one litter.

Here it does, I think - observe the grey tuxedo has exactly the same a little unusual tabby M as the little lynx point. Exactly the same. Quite characteristic.

But sometimes I did noticed there must have been the janitor helping out - for example seeing in a big litter just one tabby. When, if it was the legitime father, half of them should be tabbies... Tabby is dominant, so you become a tabby as soon you got the gene.

White spot is another such revealing gene.

A female cat can mate with multiple males while in estrus, so there might be two different fathers of the kittens, which could account for the different appearance.