Kittens Won't Stop Crying

Tobythecat02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi this is my first post in TCS. I would like to ask something about 3 kitten I am taking care of. 1 month almost 2 months. They are thankfully very healthy kittens. But one problem is one of them won't stop crying. I feed them until they get full. And they have a bad habit of peeing and pooping only on the carpet not in the litter box. Also ripped my couch. I love these little babies but I don't know what to do. I am not going to be home for 10 hours. I do not have an extra room to put them in. The rest of the rooms have carpets. Can I put them in the laundry room or bathroom? They are really hyper babies. What kind of toys can I get them with ought them choking on one of them. I would like to make them a playroom so they won't get bored any ideas what I can add into it. Thank you very much!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bathroom should be fine as long as you child proof it. Tie off cabinet doors, remove anything they can get to, put either a wall plug or duct tape over any sockets. Remove any towels they can get to.
As far as litter box. I hope you are using only clay litter until they are 12 weeks old. Put them in the box, one at a time, and take their paw and emulate the scratching they would normally do in the box. This may have to be done more than once, but it usually works.
Toys. The only toy I leave out for the kits is a big plastic ball. Inside is a smaller plastic ball, and inside that is a bell. At this age, they get supervised play with string toys, but I never leave that with them.
A cat scratcher is a good idea, as well as a cat tree. Walmart has a cat scratcher that sits on the floor and is kind of an 'S' shape. They love to hide under the up part and ambush each other. They are also learning to use it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobythecat02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The bathroom should be fine as long as you child proof it. Tie off cabinet doors, remove anything they can get to, put either a wall plug or duct tape over any sockets. Remove any towels they can get to.
As far as litter box. I hope you are using only clay litter until they are 12 weeks old. Put them in the box, one at a time, and take their paw and emulate the scratching they would normally do in the box. This may have to be done more than once, but it usually works.
Toys. The only toy I leave out for the kits is a big plastic ball. Inside is a smaller plastic ball, and inside that is a bell. At this age, they get supervised play with string toys, but I never leave that with them.
A cat scratcher is a good idea, as well as a cat tree. Walmart has a cat scratcher that sits on the floor and is kind of an 'S' shape. They love to hide under the up part and ambush each other. They are also learning to use it.
Thank you very much for the info. I will for sure be doing this so they will be happy!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can put them in the laundry room or bathroom - whichever you feel will be safest.

Put their kitten chow, water, and litter box in with them.

When you say one kitten cries all the time, do you mean it meows non-stop? Does the kitten get enough to eat? Is it crying for affection?

Kittens like toy mice and balls, and they love something to climb.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like the laundry room idea. But I compare all to mine. They could move the dryer duct and get in either the hose going to the dryer, or down into the vent. Also, my house heater is in this room. But, if yours is different, then use it.
I should have mentioned the easiest way to keep the cabinet doors shut. Buy some sticky velcro. Put one side on the edge of the door, and the other on the wood right where to door closes. They can't open this.

Tobythecat02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, you can put them in the laundry room or bathroom - whichever you feel will be safest.

Put their kitten chow, water, and litter box in with them.

When you say one kitten cries all the time, do you mean it meows non-stop? Does the kitten get enough to eat? Is it crying for affection?

Kittens like toy mice and balls, and they love something to climb.
He eats a lot. And yes he meows non stop. I hug him and he still cries. I let him play a lot too.

Tobythecat02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't like the laundry room idea. But I compare all to mine. They could move the dryer duct and get in either the hose going to the dryer, or down into the vent. Also, my house heater is in this room. But, if yours is different, then use it.
I should have mentioned the easiest way to keep the cabinet doors shut. Buy some sticky velcro. Put one side on the edge of the door, and the other on the wood right where to door closes. They can't open this.
My house heater is in the garage but I am going to choose the bathroom much more space.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You know about the Kitten Attract Litter? Dr Elseys (?) is the most renown, but there are others too. Just sprinkle some on the non scented litter...

Be sure the litter box is shallow. Or have two, one shallow, one deeper. Some kittens are good at discovering the litter, and jump in without problems. Others must be able to literally crawle in it, otherwise they feel scared.

Re the bathroom. Be sure you tape the lock on the toilette seat itself. So the kittens cant happen to lift up the lock, and perhaps drown in there if they are clumsy enough...

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Re the bathroom. Be sure you tape the lock on the toilette seat itself. So the kittens cant happen to lift up the lock, and perhaps drown in there if they are clumsy enough...
Wondering if I'm just really tired or is this a Europe thing. What is a lock on the toilet seat?

Tobythecat02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You know about the Kitten Attract Litter? Dr Elseys (?) is the most renown, but there are others too. Just sprinkle some on the non scented litter...

Be sure the litter box is shallow. Or have two, one shallow, one deeper. Some kittens are good at discovering the litter, and jump in without problems. Others must be able to literally crawle in it, otherwise they feel scared.

Wow i didn't know kittens could open the Toilet seat. I am putting tape on everything so they won't hurt themselves. Any ideas on what I can do about the bath tub? My kittens climb like spider man. Thank you!

Tobythecat02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just now realized my kittens only meow loudly when they see me. When they are alone they fall asleep.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im not sure they can open the toilet seat lock. but whom wants to risk anything? :) Especielly as you hint you want to be entirely safe...

If they meow just when you are there, its no dire need, its mostly a way to try communicate with you. It may even be purely companion thing. Although the "just holding company and acknoledging your presence" is usually quiter, calmer than meowing as such...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its probably my lacks in english vocabulary... The toilet seat is open when you use it, there is a lock on it when you dont use it? A toilet used only by men tend to be opened up the whole time, while the ladies tend to put it down when not used.

Wondering if I'm just really tired or is this a Europe thing. What is a lock on the toilet seat?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Don't worry about the tub. It is safe for them to play in it. Just put the shower curtain up and out of the way over the bar.

I agree the bathroom is safer than the laundry room. :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its probably my lacks in english vocabulary... The toilet seat is open when you use it, there is a lock on it when you dont use it? A toilet used only by men tend to be opened up the whole time, while the ladies tend to put it down when not used.
We call that the lid. The part you sit on is the seat.

Definitely agree that the lid should be down at all times. I had a kitten fall in the toilet once.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We call that the lid. The part you sit on is the seat.

Definitely agree that the lid should be down at all times. I had a kitten fall in the toilet once.
I was thinking there was an actual lock on the thing. lol
The lid is way too heavy for a kitten to raise.

Tobythecat02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im not sure they can open the toilet seat lock. but whom wants to risk anything? :) Especielly as you hint you want to be entirely safe...

If they meow just when you are there, its no dire need, its mostly a way to try communicate with you. It may even be purely companion thing. Although the "just holding company and acknoledging your presence" is usually quiter, calmer than meowing as such...
Oh ok thank you very much! :D