Kittens With Roundworms In Isolation - Am I Doing Everything Okay

Starblaize

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just rescued two feral kittens a week ago Saturday. Even though their initial fecal test came out clean, it did turn out they had round worms. I have them crated (because they are feral) and because we already have a cat who is quite elderly. I change out their litter twice a day. The floor of their crate and their litter box gets wiped with water with a little bleach in it once a day and I use disposable gloves. They need to stay in quarantine for at least two weeks. They get fresh bedding daily and I've started to put their old towels in garbage bags to take down stairs. I often wash their bedding daily. They do occasionally kick the gooey stuff out of their crate and I pick it up with paper towel and throw in the trash. I've laid down a towel in front of the crate that I sit on and that they can play on. I did see some dark colored litter behind the crate so I vacuumed today. Plus I wash my hands like crazy.
They also had fleas (I thought I had checked carefully, so whoops), but the infestation wasn't bad. I sprinkled diatomaceous earth around their crate. They also got a bath yesterday and I only saw three fleas total. (I used Dawn like the vet advised me to do). I'm sure I missed a spot or two, but I'm lucky. For feral kittens they are pretty docile to handle, even if they haven't tamed up yet.
They went to the vet on Thursday. The vet was pleased that we going to try to keep them. They are around 8 weeks old. They got their first vaccine, got treated for the fleas and the parasites. They get a dose of Revolution on Thursday.
Also my other concern is the amount of time they have to spend alone. I don't like to leave toys in their crate. I try to play with them at least a couple hours a day and NPR is on at a low volume in their room 24/7. Any words of advice or wisdom?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sounds like you and the vet are doing everything right. And yes, its important to keep them isolated, but oh i know how hard that is! I was thinking about it the other day, all my cats have been rescues, and no one has ever been healthy when i got them. I was wondering what it would be like to have a really healthy kitten?
Good luck with your babies, and post photos when you get time!
Love them and spend as much time as you can with them, now while babies, it will pay off when they are older. Sounds like you are doing that already :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Starblaize

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks it's been a long time since I've done kittens, just the reassurance that I'm doing everything I can helps. Really!

Starblaize

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are the little bashers. They had just discovered the joy that is mice toys! Their names are Spenser and Gigi.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ohhh they are too cute :) I do miss having kittens. Will keep your little guys in my thoughts, that they will do very well, and you will have a very easy time fitting them into your home! Glad you are keeping the little guys. Keep us updated with them! :heartshape:

Starblaize

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So...the vet doesn't want to test until two weeks after the Revolution was applied which was one week ago. 2 weeks ago they were at the vet and also got treated for fleas and parasites. Poor babies have to stay in quarantine for another week and none of us are happy about it. :disappointed:

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awwwwww, they are cuties! Thank you for rescuing them, Starblaize Starblaize !

duckpond duckpond LOL, I’ve never had a healthy kitten (or adult cat) either. They always come to me with some kind of disaster going on! That’s what happens when you take in accidental cats :). I wouldn’t change my cats for the world!

Starblaize

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I've been letting them run around in the room (on the floor) when I'm in it. I know they have to be getting tired of that crate.

Dandelions

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds to me like you are doing a good job! Since they have each other in the crate they shouldn't be too lonely. My kitty was sickly when I got her and she had round worms too. Scared the heck out of me, I was afraid to touch her for a while. My anxiety gets pretty bad. I kept her isolated in the guest bathroom most of the time like whenever I wasn't home and at night or if I couldn't keep an eye on her. She didn't get free run of the house till a few months after I got her. She turned out really sweet and well behaved. Shes 11 months old now and the round worms never came back after getting her dewormed and my da

Starblaize

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I might have to do something different this week. They are just about too big for the crate and the kitten litter box. (they are 10 weeks old)

Starblaize

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just back to the vet today and they still tested positive for roundworms. Gah! How very frustrating! They did get another dose of Strongid T at least and will get tested again in two more weeks. They also get another round of Revolution next month. But they are thriving, they each have gained around a pound. I'm leaving them in the crate today to let the medicine do it's thing. They really need a full size cat box so I'm gonna work on getting the room they are in kitten ready tomorrow and I can't do that with the crate in there.