~Kittens with dry flaky ears/face????~

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~I have 3 kittens....just over 2 weeks old. They have been doing great up until now. They are starting to have very dry skin around the inside of the ears and temple area of the head. One of the kittens is losing hair around the temple of the head. What could be causing the sudden dry flakey skin?~
I will try to get a good picture of it so maybe somebody can tell me whats going on with my babies~

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom_2_3

~I have 3 kittens....just over 2 weeks old. They have been doing great up until now. They are starting to have very dry skin around the inside of the ears and temple area of the head. One of the kittens is losing hair around the temple of the head. What could be causing the sudden dry flakey skin?~
I will try to get a good picture of it so maybe somebody can tell me whats going on with my babies~
Please get a vet check
///

MODS can we move this maybe to cats and kittens where the Experts might find it???

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dont take offence to this please , but could they possibly have flees? it could be a number of things causing this even what there mum is feeding on can have a reaction to the kittens skin. its very hard to say over the internet what it could be , but my advice would be to get them vet checked , it could even be mites, or even what you wash your blankets in. speak to your vet first if they cannot pin point what the problem is they may suggest you bath them with a mild baby shampoo to see if this helps.
good luck please up date when you can .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~Okay I ran them in to a local vet (my vet is 3 hours away and I have an app with him on Friday) and he did a skin scrape etc. Said that wasnt an allergy that he could tell. Doesnt believe its flea's because he didnt see any on the babies and plus my 2 adult cats are on frontline and are inside cats. Only thing he could thing it could be is that Oreo, my other adult female cat has been playing mommy to the kittens when she is away. She licks them CONSTANTLY! He thinks they are being OVERLICKED lolol I done gave them a bath with a mild kitten shampoo because when I called my vet that is what he said to do. The local vet said to keep Oreo away from the kittens and see my regular vet Friday to see if there is any improvement. I use GAIN to wash their blankets in so maybe it might be that. Ill try getting some very mild detergent and see if that improves the situation at all. Thanks for the great info~

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~Yea I guesss if I took 5-6 baths a day I would have dry skin too haha! Actually I shower/bath twice a day and I still have to use ALOT of lotion to NOT become dry and itchy myself...so I guess it makes sense. I dont know the local vet personally. I just moved 3 hours from my vet and I have yet to find another vet locally that I can really understand and am comfortable with. Ill be taking them to se MY vet Friday. Until then I guess Ill have to put the babies in one of the bedrooms and keep NoNo and them in there away from Oreo. Thats so sad though because Oreo and NoNo are so close and I cant imagine even a couple days without them being around each other all the time. They will be sad!~

Ill update when I know more about whats going on with them. Could the Frontline I use on momma cat be affecting the babies since they snuggle and nurse on her??

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what frontline are you using ?? the spot on or the spray?
i was always told to ONLY use the spray as it was safe for very young kittens and pregnant cats , but i was always told never to use the spot on while mums are nursing.
i dont know the difference only that i was told by my vet not to use it.

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~I use the spot on but remember I wasnt aware she was even pregnant until LATE in the pregnancy...I havent used any on her SINCE giving birth and finding out she was preggos but I did use it about 2 weeks before I knew she was pregnant.~ Also I wasnt even thinking about dear Oreo she has been on Frontline since I got her too and she does snuggle with the babies. I simply forgot about it.~

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i wouldnt have thought that would cause dry skin though ? but im not a vet and could be wrong. how are they after there baths?