kittens with diarrhea

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, my two 7 month old kittens have had diarrhea on and off for a while now. My vet does not seem concerned even though i find blood in their stools on occasion. They are from a cat shelter, but have been wormed, and are kept indoors. I have been feeding them hills and royal canin dry food, hills wet food, cooked chicken, and raw kangaroo, beef, and lamb. The people at the cat shelter didn't seem concerned either. They said cats should not eat raw meat, which sounds silly to me as that is what they would eat in the wild. I've read it has many benefits also. Maybe i am giving them too much variety? I tend to spoil them! They do seem better just eating the dry food and tinned or cooked chicken. My vet said to only give them dry food. She said cats don't need variety. I'm confused now. I wanted to transfer them to a raw diet now they are older. Any advice would be appreciated.

jayjaylou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
if you feed a raw diet, you MUST be sure that you know what you're doing and that all the

vitamins and minerals a kitten /cat needs is in there. There are forums on it but it really isn't

as simple as just feeding them raw meat. Sorry if you already knew that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes i did, thank you anyway. I just meant getting them off the tinned food, and giving them fresh meat. I would still give them the hills dry food which can be used as a complete diet.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You do still want to add a u-stew or other whole diet supplement if you're feeding a lot of homemade raw, even if you're feeding Hills or another food as well. Reason is that you're essentially diluting nutrients like taurine that are found in a complete diet if they are not in all the foods you're feeding.