Kittens Will Be Gone In Just Over A Week, How Do I Prepare Mom?

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am fostering a Mom and 7 kittens. In about 1.5 weeks 5 of the kittens will be going back to the shelter to get adopted out (I am keeping her and two kittens.). How can I ease them slowly into the separation? The kitttens are 7 weeks old and still nursing. Earlier today we brought them downstairs fromnthe cat room and Mom was clearly worried (we have brought a few down but not all 7 at once). I feel like they are all still quite attached and want to slowly get them used to being without each other. I also need to get mom dried up so we can spay her. Any tips in making the transition easier would be appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
It is typical for kittens to start on solids at about 6 to 8 weeks, but still need the care, mothering, and nutrition from the mother. For a kitten to have its needs properly met, it needs at least 10-12 weeks with the mother.

Ideally you won't remove the kitten from its mother until it is at least 12 weeks old. This allows the kitten to learn important social skills from its mother and siblings.

You can help the weaning process by providing shallow dishes of clean water and canned cat food. There should also be a litter box the kittens can climb into and out of; this needs to be cleaned on a daily basis.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might also try reminding Mom that it is still fun for her to play. Try spending some alone time with her just playing. A kitty toy on a string or some catnip. It is better to separate them when they are a little older. Mom will start to urge them to be more independent of her at the time of weaning. If that time frame cannot be met then just keep working with Mom by letting her and the other kittens watch from a carrier as you take each one out for play time. After you play with one, return it to mom and move on to the next kitten and so on until each kitten has been removed but then returned to her for inspection. She will begin to understand that even if they are not right beside her, they are going to be okay. End the play time by playing with Mommy. She will return to the kittens in a happy state and be ready to cuddle. If you are keeping a baby then it will be much easier for her to adjust to the others leaving. I know it's hard to separate them but if they all stayed it would be hard for you to give enough of your time to each individual kitty. I admit that I have separation anxiety with the kittens I let go of too. It isn't just Mom! Lol They will be missed but you will be there to give Mom reassurance, love and playtime distractions. We all grow up to leave our parents and stand on our own two Or four feet. Just keep working with them and giving them your love and attention. One final note. If the kittens are slow to eat regular cat food, try topping it with a little meat baby food that is slightly warm. They will climb in the plate , spread out all fours and devour it. Yummy! Mom would like a bit too. Let us know how things progress.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It will help that you are keeping mom and 2 kittens, but can you keep them all until they are at least 10 weeks?

Twelve weeks is ideal, but at least 10 is better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Luckily the kittens do all eat canned and dry kibble. They also use the litter box now. They do all still nurse though. I wish I could keep them longer but unfortunately I have no say in when they go back to the shelter, they want to take them back at 8-9 weeks. These kittens will be closer to 9 weeks luckily. It seems too early I agree. Thanks for the tips Jcatbird. Im wondering if I should keep them all separated at night now? Or for a portion during the day?

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have fostered hundreds of kittens and they all go back at around 8-9 weeks and do perfectly fine. I personally don't think it's too early. In fact many of my moms want nothing to do with their kittens by that age. Nursing at 7 weeks old is still normal, even if they don't nutritionally need it. It's more of a comfort thing.

I don't think you should separate them right now because at this age, the more time with mom and siblings, the better. They may be confused and concerned for a short time when they are separated in a week, but they will be ok. It doesn't take long for them to forget each other.

Last edited:

Riageorge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Separating them at this age could be a bit stressful for the mother. Try to keep them until 9-10 weeks so that they all gain better immunity and also mother gets more special time to spend with them.
Adoption is meant for the needy and right now they have their mother so basically no need for time being.
In case it is important to give them away soon. Try playing with the cat and kittens together, spend more time with her so that she doesn't miss them much.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Adoption is meant for the needy and right now they have their mother so basically no need for time being.
I was thinking about this too...well, anyway, hopefully you'll be able to convince the shelter to wait just a wee bit longer. I'm not sure why they're in such a hurry :)

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about this too...well, anyway, hopefully you'll be able to convince the shelter to wait just a wee bit longer. I'm not sure why they're in such a hurry :)
Im not 100% sure why but I am guessing it is because kittens are so much easier to find homes for than grown cats. So the younger the kittens are when they get put up for adoption, the longer their window of “cute adoptable kittenness” will be.

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have fostered hundreds of kittens and they all go back at around 8-9 weeks and do perfectly fine. I personally don't think it's too early. In fact many of my moms want nothing to do with their kittens by that age. Nursing at 7 weeks old is still normal, even if they don't nutritionally need it. It's more of a comfort thing.

I don't think you should separate them right now because at this age, the more time with mom and siblings, the better. They may be confused and concerned for a short time when they are separated in a week, but they will be ok. It doesn't take long for them to forget each other.
Do you think they will be fully weaned by 9 weeks? Are your fosters usually fully weaned by then? The mama cat started distancing herself a bit when they were 6 weeks, but she is still always within eyeshot of them and definitely still motherly towards them.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your kittens are probably fully weaned already, but only nurse off of mom for comfort. I doubt mom is even producing much milk anymore. Kittens can actually comfort nurse off their moms for many months! I've even heard of adult cats still nursing on their mom. It's quite a strange sight!:lol:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I kept the pregnant stray I took in, and her 4 kittens, and I can assure you that mine nursed for comfort for several months. They began eating food though at 5-6 weeks.

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your kittens are probably fully weaned already, but only nurse off of mom for comfort. I doubt mom is even producing much milk anymore. Kittens can actually comfort nurse off their moms for many months! I've even heard of adult cats still nursing on their mom. It's quite a strange sight!:lol:
I saw something recently on facebook where fully grown cats were nursing off their mom, they were bigger than her! Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I kept the pregnant stray I took in, and her 4 kittens, and I can assure you that mine nursed for comfort for several months. They began eating food though at 5-6 weeks.
Were you able to spay her? The issue I have is according to 5e spca she has to be completely dried up for two weeks before we can spay her, and if kittens are nursing her, even just for comfort, she is gonna be producing milk.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I had my cat spayed when her kittens were 8 weeks old. She was not dried up and continued to nurse her kittens, including the same day she had surgery. I used a private vet for her.

The kittens were spayed and neutered at 12 weeks through the local Humane Society.

Do you have any other options for places to spay your cat?

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My shelter does the same thing laughingduck laughingduck . They won’t spay if the mom is still producing milk. I believe it is more expensive if she’s still producing so rescues would rather wait for the cheaper option.

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I had my cat spayed when her kittens were 8 weeks old. She was not dried up and continued to nurse her kittens, including the same day she had surgery. I used a private vet for her.

The kittens were spayed and neutered at 12 weeks through the local Humane Society.

Do you have any other options for places to spay your cat?
I called one local vet and asked about spaying while the mom is nursing and they said they meeded her to be weaned 6 weeks. I will try to call a few more on Monday though and see if some will spay while she is nursing. Good idea thanks!

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am keeping her and two kittens but today is her first day without the rest of them as they are back at the shelter to het adopted. She is walking around the house yowling. I feel so bad for her. I thought it wouldnt be so bad as we still have two left but she is still mourning. Does anyone know how long this will last, and how I can help her through it? TIA

Last edited by a moderator:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor mama. Just like with humans, there really isn't much you can do to help her through this. Be there. Try to keep her occupied. Love her. It will lessen with time.