Kittens Way Too Hyper After Spay

Trailandtide

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My three 6 month old girls were spayed yesterday morning. We had them stay overnight at the vets and I picked them up around 2pm today. I expected them to be more sedate but they are trying to rough house, jump onto counters, and do their usual kitten stuff. I've locked them out of the room with the lofted bed they love (way to high for them to safely jump right now) but I'm not sure how to calm them down and we don't have any rooms in the house without counters, built in book shelves etc...there is something to jump on in every room... plus they have each other. What should I do? I am intervening when they get too rambunctious but it's difficult to monitor all 3 simultaneously. So far their incision sites look okay. Also do I need to get paper litter? I normally use the non clumping pellet feline pine? New kitty mama and so stressed! I actually had sepsis myself this year, so I'm very concerned about the sites getting infected

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's kittens for ya. There isn't a lot you can do. Keep them confined to the smallest space you can with the least amount of things to jump on. But they are going to be rambunctious regardless especially with 3 of them together. Watch the spay incisions for heat, oozing, odor and extra redness. There may be a little redness and at some point there could get a small lump there as it heals which is normal. But anything out of the ordinary call the vet. They also are fine to lick the wound as long as they aren't biting at it or tearing at the stitches. If they do that they need a cone collar.