Kittens Too Young

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, a friend of mine got two kittens shes says both are 6 weeks and I'm worried their health could be affected being taken away from their mother too young.
Should I tell her to get the young kitten milk to feed them.aswel as their food?

Last edited by a moderator:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Although the "recommendation" is to keep kittens with their mom and siblings till at least 12 weeks, for many reasons that isn't always possible. And as long as your friend's kittens are weaned, and eating solid food, they should be fine.

Here's a TCS article with more info:
The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition

Have they been to the vet yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I explained that to her they shouldn't be separated yet at least until 8 weeks.
But I think the previous owner has had enough of the kittens and is giving them away now.

Hasn't been to the vet yet. I offered to bring her to the vet for their first needles, a check up and for worming etc but she didn't seem to bothered by the needles as she never did with her other cats.
I told her they actually do need these as shes risking their lifes by not doing it.
She will be neutering them though, as shes not sure what sex they both are.

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'll send it on to her now. Thanks for your help.

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Hopefully when they are brought to be neutered the vet will push for vaccines.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for looking out for those kittens! I feel bad for the mother cat for having her babies taken away so young. I hope that the cat's owner will get her spayed before she has another litter.
I agree with giving the kittens some kmr in addition to a good quality kitten food; free-fed kibble in addition to at least 2 meals daily of canned.
Top picture looks like a boy but I am unsure of the second. And as was mentioned before, things can change.

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know, she must be heart broken but shes still young herself, I think shes maybe only a year. A baby having a baby really....

Yeah I think he will be getting her spayed.
Shes a miniature cat seeing as there isnt many around I would say the birth was extremely bad for her, poor thing.

I've to get my own cats their special diet food so I will luck some milk up for the kittens.
Is there anything else you would recommend?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think both boys but the black one is hard to tell (black is so hard in photos; no contrast). But the opening looks round and the distance is right for it to be a boy. The tabby is definitely a boy.