Kitten's Third Eyelid Is Showing

nado

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Four days ago, I noticed that the third eyelid on my kitten's right eye was showing. There was no blood, redness, or discharge from the eye. By the time I took the kitten (his name is Rocky) to the vet, the third eyelid was almost back to normal, and not covering most of his eye. The examination at the vet revealed a small abrasion on Rocky's eye, and Tobramycin eye drops were prescribed for twice a day, for the next 7 days.

I have been administering the eye drops as directed, but the morning following the vet visit, the third eyelid once again became visible. Rocky is eating, drinking, and playing normally, and does not appear to be in pain.

If you have had a cat with it's third eyelid showing, how long did it take to go back to normal?
I feel so bad for the little guy.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Rocky! Were you able to take a photo of his eye to send to the vet, and let he/she know that Rocky's third eyelid came back just after the start of the tobramycin? It could just be a result of adding drops twice daily, but if the eye looks like it is showing any more of a reaction, the vet would know whether to change the med or if you should keep going for the next few days.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws on this one. Call your vet, explain what is going on, ask if you can email a photo, or if you need to come back in. I think it may be just from the drops, but don't take chances with this little guy's eyes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nado

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rocky Update-Rocky's eye is still the same, with the third eyelid still showing. There is no discharge or redness, and Rocky does not seem to be in any pain. He eats, drinks, sleeps, plays, ect normally.

I contacted the vet on 3/9, and they want me to continue with the eye drops as directed, so they will be done on 3/13 in the evening. i am monitoring him. If there is any change before the drops are finished, I will call the vet.

I want to thank everyone for your replies to my post. Thank you for taking the time and caring about my little Rocky. I will give an update after the drops are finished, or if anything changes.

Once again, thank you. Your replies mean so much to me.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is just what we're here for. The Cat Site really is a community, you are one of us, and Rocky is one of our cats now, too!

nado

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Latest update-Rocky's round of eye drops was finished last night, and it appears that his third eyelid is beginning to go back to normal. Sometimes it is almost in a completely normal position, and others, the third eyelid partially covers the eye. This began this morning, so I'm hoping that the eyelid will eventually stay in its proper place.

Thanks again for all the help and encouragement regarding my little Rocky.

Jesset1977

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats had same issues. Hers were due to scented litter. We changed litter and shes been fine since. A pet sitter actually gave her scented once without knowing....her eyes went to hell immediately.

nado

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats had same issues. Hers were due to scented litter. We changed litter and shes been fine since. A pet sitter actually gave her scented once without knowing....her eyes went to hell immediately.
Thank you Jesset. I'm beginning to wonder if a litter allergy may be exacerbating Rocky's condition. I have been using scented litter, but I'm going to try unscented. His eyelid seems like it it better for awhile, then goes back up over his eye. I'm a bit worried about his eye-just wish it would get better and stay that way.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know if the change in litter helps! Be sure to look for one with VERY low or NO dust. I've had good luck with corn- or walnut-based litters.