kittens showed up in my garage

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I caught two of the kittens tonight and brought them inside, it's supposed to be really hot and humid this week and I thought it would be nicer to have them inside. I just put the food in a medium size cat carrier and closed the door when they went in like you said. They don't seem to freaked out, they let me pet them a little bit but I wouldn't say they enjoyed it. What should I do to get them more socialized? I currently have them in a jumbo dog crate with food, water, a big towel, and a small box with non clumping litter. I can do a bit of rearranging so they would have the whole room that they could wander tomorrow if that would be better. Also that room has a ac just for that room, around what temp should I have it at for them? Thanks for all the help.
Re the temp.  About 22 C should be fine, nice warmth without being hot.   You CAN have a heat pad theree, most cats likes some extra warm spot to be on when they so wish..  but its not any longer necessary for survival.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fordranger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Around how long after I catch them should they start eating? I caught 1 more this morning, just 1 kitten and the mom left.

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would have food available in the room that you place the kittens in immediately that way they will know they have food and water milk etc. I hope that you are able to get the mommy soon and the other kitten. just an idea can you make a recording of the kittens and place that near the trap and that might bring the mommy and kitten in the trap.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Around how long after I catch them should they start eating? I caught 1 more this morning, just 1 kitten and the mom left.
Its common a new be is too tensed to eat, it may even take two full days.  Its for catched, sometimes even for shy bought cats...

You do have the food there waiting, water, litter etc, as Kstonya says.  But dont be alarmed they dont eat at once or even a full day...  Quite common.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
fordranger fordranger

Good job! So one kitten plus mama cat left! I hope you can catch both this weekend. Mama may be the hardest. She may not go in the carrier to eat while you are watching, so you may have to borrow a trap where the door will close when she begins to eat.

I would arrange the room so the kittens have the whole room to explore and play in. Leave wet food, fry food, water, and a litter box for them, along with their toys. Just go in periodically and sit on the floor and play with them as you were doing in the garage. It really shouldn't take long for them to be climbing on you and responding well to you.

When you catch mama, I would put her in the room with her kittens. She needs a vet visit for her leg, and perhaps worm and flea medicine, and you can ask the vet to send you home with worm and flea meds for the kittens. She will need to be spayed but it can wait while she acclimates unless you suspect she is already pregnant again.

Well done so far! Let us know on mom and kitten. Have you seen them at all yet today?

And yes, they may be a little frightened, but the kittens will begin to eat and relax. It's not too difficult to socialize them at this age. Put up pictures of them when you can. I do suggest you go ahead and borrow a trap for mama, unless you think she will let you pick her up.

Last edited:

fordranger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the help everyone. I do have two traps already but they are both big ones for adult cats, I'm waiting to set those up until after I catch the last kitten. I have seen the mom and last kitten today. I'll try to get some good pictures of them to post.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great! Hoping you get the kitten soon!

If you don't get the kitten today, go ahead and set the trap. You should get one or both in the trap fairly quickly.

I am sure mom and kittens will be delighted to be togethet again. Can you tell if the kittens are still nursing mom at all?

fordranger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got the last kitten and the trap is set for mom. The kittens I had already trapped started eating this afternoon. I saw one kitten try to nurse but mom just got up and left and didn't let it. Hopefully I'll get the mom by tomorrow afternoon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awesome! You have all four kittens now! Yes, let's hope for mom tomorrow! Hopefully she will be in the trap.

It sounds like mom is weaning them, especially now that they've been getting nice meals from you. Sometimes moms will continue to let kittens nurse sporadically for a few weeks. They still need her to teach them kitten manners though.

I can't wait for your update tomorrow. Mom will be missing her kittens!

fordranger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I moved them into a sort of pen I built so they have way more room them the cage but not quite the whole room so they can't get into anything they aren't supposed to. They started playing now that I moved them over and using the litter box. Two of the kittens fur seems to be laying flatter and not looking as fluffy as the other two. The gray ones meowing tonight, but they other ones don't seem to mind being in there at all. I got a few pictures of them. Please ignore the floor, I'm in the middle of redoing that room.

Last edited by a moderator:

tsukiyomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww so cute. it looks like you have two blacks, one tabby, and one tortie is that correct?

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
So happy to read you have all four kitties now. They are so adorable! Also, so lucky to have you.
Good luck with getting the mom cat!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The pen is a good idea! I am sure the gray kitten is meowing from confusion and missing mama. It will probably settle down soon and enjoy being safe with siblings and good food and toys.

Do they have fleas?

I'll await word from you on mama kitty :).

fordranger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
   I don't believe they have fleas as I've watched them for hours and I haven't seen them scratch at all. I managed to catch the mom and I attempted to release her with her kittens but she wanted no part of them or being inside and was darting across the room trying to climb the walls etc and I had to catch her and put her in the large dog crate because I didn't want her to hurt herself. The pen didn't work for the kittens since two of them escaped by this morning, there claws were strong enough to climb the side. I'm starting to think they are a bit older then we though due to how good they can climb.

I made the decision (I'm sure some may not agree) to bring the mother and kittens to a rescue group that mainly deals with spaying/neutering farm cats and raising/socializing the kittens so they can find good homes. They vaccinate all the kittens as well as have them spayed or neutered before they are adopted into screened indoor only homes. They are going to have the mom spayed and relocated to a farm as long as she checks out health wise. I felt like it was the best thing for them to be socialized by someone with experience as well as having all shots and being fixed before they are adopted, something I could not afford to do. I also feel they will be able to find them better homes then I would with thier screening process. I am sad they are gone, I grew surprisingly attached to them in the short time I've been feeding/playing with them but I think it's for the best.

Thanks to everyone that helped me with taking care of them, I really appreciate it.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like a great solution for the mom and kittens.  Perhaps you can adopt one of them when they are ready for their furever homes.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you have made a very wise decision that will greatly benefit the mom and the kittens, and hopefully they will not put mama cat down due to her injured leg. Was that discussed at all?

Though mama would have calmed down eventually, I think you did the right thing. I appreciate your efforts over the last two weeks to feed and catch this family. It also allowed the kittens a couple of extra weeks with their mom, as she will undoubtedly be separated from them now.

You did a great job, and the rescue organization sounds as though they do good work too! Thank you again for your excellent efforts on behalf of these cats! :)

fordranger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did have the natural reaction when you see cute kittens to want to keep one, but it's just not a good choice for me at this time. They were aware of her leg injury right away before they agreed to take and spay/relocate her. Unless something is majorly wrong with her she will be fine. I didn't feel it would be a good idea to get her spayed and release her back at my house with the risk of getting another leg caught in an assumed trap like the other.

kstonya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Everyone is different so do not feel upset that you had to place these cats and kittens with a shelter. Some situations either monetary or other dictate what we have to decide is best. Some of us do not have money to keep any animals or have living restrictions that do not allow you to keep these cats and babies. In those cases placing them is a better choice than putting them out on the street. Please do not feel that any of us feel bad that you had to make the decision that you did. Maybe at a later date if situations arise that another pregnant cat arrives at your door you will have the knowledge to help that cat or maybe a dog.