Kittens Paws Look Blackened/calloused?

ktea1993

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably a stupid question that can only be vaguely answered but my kitten, who has had pink/mauve paws up until acouple weeks ago (she’s 8 mo) are turning black. But they don’t look natural, it looks like her natural paw color is hidden underneath what looks like soot or dirt. I don’t know if it’s staining or what, I’ve tried to wipe it off with no success. Our other cat has entirely pink paws and they don’t look any darker so I don’t think it’s dirt.. really weird looking. They’re almost entirely black now, with the pink only barely showing through through the side. Is this callous build up? Again my floors may not be the cleanest all the time but our other cat doesn’t have dirty/blackened looking paws.
13835236-6F25-43A6-9036-0A3FEF1AC9F6.jpeg
78F9AF7D-7B3A-4736-B300-3201E755CF89.jpeg
E0739A43-22EB-4A7F-AAA0-FB3B8720770B.jpeg
F71F15EA-2EAB-4FC2-8D8C-0506DD4B6078.jpeg

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty girl. I think normally paw pads are different colors, depending on the color of the cat. Gray pads are not uncommon for a gray cat. i don't know if they turn gray as the kitten grows up? sounds like this is what is happening.

However if you are worried then a vet visit is always a good thing. :heartshape:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This really looks (if the pictures are accurate) like the changing of pad color that is fairly normal as a kitten grows into an adult. It does tend to look like staining as the color gradually shifts, and with her fur, that would be fairly common. I would suggest that you keep watch on it (not make yourself crazy, though). If the pads become thickened or cracked or inflammed, take her in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ktea1993

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both. I appreciate it! I like that I can be neurotic about my cat on these boards without being told to get a life lol cuz I mean my cat is my life.

Echy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both. I appreciate it! I like that I can be neurotic about my cat on these boards without being told to get a life lol cuz I mean my cat is my life.
This looks pretty normal, Verismo, my cat has the exact same pads, his pads are mixed with black and pink, however, do keep an eye on it. Verismo's pads were cracked and inflamed, I took him to the vet and it healed within a few days. Just keep an eye on it.
Feel free to start a new forum or reply and keep us informed if anything happens!

~Echy

ktea1993

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This looks pretty normal, Verismo, my cat has the exact same pads, his pads are mixed with black and pink, however, do keep an eye on it. Verismo's pads were cracked and inflamed, I took him to the vet and it healed within a few days. Just keep an eye on it.
Feel free to start a new forum or reply and keep us informed if anything happens!

~Echy
Thank you! I’ll keep you updated, I hope it’s not an infection. I wish her paws would stay mauve cuz she’s supposed to be an RB but oooh well

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's what we're here for!

Insofar as "supposed" to be a RB, unless there are papers on BOTH parents, that's pretty much anybody's guess. The differenced in MOST breeds are very subtle, and even an expert couldn't say more than, "This cat appears to conform with this breed standard." You CAN do DNA testing, if you are really curious. I like this place: Cat Ancestry - FAQ UC Davis is really cutting edge on cat genetics. I'd love to have the funds to test Hekitty, just for fun.

ktea1993

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I got her from a really shady breeder and didn’t do my research, she certainly looks the part but I’ll never know for sure. I’m saving up for a UC Davis test, they’re so pricey! It would be fun though.