Kitten’s Paw pad injury

colbyraye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my 2 month old kitten to the vet yesterday for a wound on her paw pad that caused her to limp and it emitted a foul odor. I was prescribed a cone which is way too big for her, so we are still figuring out a fix for that.

I did notice last night however that the paw no longer smells bad. We were also given chlorhex (I think I spelled that right?) wipes to clean it twice a day. I still worry about her walking in her litter and that becoming trapped in the wound though.

I’ve also been giving her a liquid amoxicillin as prescribed.

A few questions:

Is it a good sign that the wound no longer smells?
Should I find a quick fix for the cone to make it fit, or is she fine with just being watched closely?
I noticed scabbing on her paw in the area of the wound this morning, is that normal?
Finally, should I be cleaning her paw after she uses the litter box? I wasn’t told I had to and wasn’t told to cover her paw for that, but I just want some advice!

Thank you so much. I‘ll attach a photo as well of what her paw looks like as of ~30 minutes ago.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The chlorohexidine must be disinfecting the wound enough already to keep the smell from the infection under control. I would think scabbing is a good sign as it would infer it is healing. I am not sure about using the chlorohexidine more often than prescribed, but you could call and ask the vet. The other thing you could try after she uses the litter box is chamomile tea bags (standard grocery store variety which are almost always German - you don't want English, nor any flavorings/additives), brew a bag in water, cool the liquid, and then apply it to cotton balls or a soft cloth to wipe off her paw. The tea has both soothing and healing properties and is also considered an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal agent. It is safe for her to lick as well.

I would watch her to see if you can avoid using the cone. If she does alright without it, all the better for her - and you!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The smell was most probably because it was infected and the amoxicillin will clear that so the fact that it no longer smells is a good sign. The cone is to stop her bothering the wound and licking it so if she doesn't bother it then no cone is ok, just watch her. The scabbing is a sign that the wound is healing. Check for any litter stuck on her paw after using the litter tray and make sure its clean. Cats are quick healers so try not to worry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

colbyraye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted a thread a couple days back about my cat’s paw. Shes 2 months old, we adopted her with a would on her front left paw that we didn’t find out about until we got her home. I took her to the vet because she was limping and the paw emitted a foul odor, that’s been about a week ago now. I’ve been giving her amoxicillin as prescribed as well as wiping her paw with Chlorhexidine wipes twice daily. She’s supposed to be wearing a cone, but the one given to me was much too large for her, and we’ve found she mostly leaves that paw alone for the most part. Her limp went away as well as the foul odor. I attached a photo on the last thread that showed some gray hunk stuck in that paw, which I discovered was some litter trapped in between her toes. I wanted to update it with a new photo because now it appears that she’s either having some peeling of her skin or possibly it’s her skin growing back?

I just want some guidance. It was the first vet we found and when I tried to call with questions I was never met with any answers.

Questions that I have:

Is the limp/odor going away a good sign?
Does her paw appear to be healing (even with that lighter area of skin near the wound itself?)?
It appears she has gray stuff covering the main part of the would on the palm of her paw pad, is that safe to clean off? It’s hardened on, almost like a scab. I don’t want to reopen the wound, so is that a scab or something foreign that should definitely be cleaned?
Is she fine without the cone? There’s always someone home with her, so is our visual babysitting enough?
936B4519-A501-4FDC-83E2-C10EF6365251.jpeg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Limp and odor gone is a GREAT thing!
I believe that it is healing
That's probably a scab, but not sure because I didn't see it after the Vet visit to know what it looked like, how deep it was, etc. I don't think I would try to peel it off, but you could try soaking it a little bit to try to figure out if it's a scab or dried gunk. If dried gunk, then maybe continue to soak it and see what happens.
As long as she doesn't lick that paw until it's dry from you using the wipes, she should be ok without the cone. At least that's what I read on a jar of chlorahexidine wipes :wink: