Kittens obsessed with Plush fabric and stuffed animals

Siamese brothers mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, My boys (9 months old) are obsessed with stuffed animals and plush fabric. They hunt for anything like a stuffed animal to bite at and drag all over the house. I bought them a cat bed and a heated pet pad and they drag it off the couch and all over the house. They have a few stuffed toys to play with, but we can’t have fleece or any plush fabric or it will be dragged around. I’ve had cats before that loved the pet beds. Has any one seen this behavior before?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently it’s somewhat common in Siamese, they tend to have a fascination with plush materials. I’ve also heard the breed has a high incidence of pica, which may be worth consulting a vet about, especially if they tend to chew at the material.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, one of our cats used to steal my son’s plush teddy bear and haul it all over. It’s just a variation of their hint, chase, kill game. I would make sure they have plenty of stuffed toys their size to choose from and then hopefully they will leave their bed in place.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If cat toys are too small for them, you could get them plush dog toys or even stuffed animals designed for toddlers, whichever is less expensive for you. Neko-chan has a stuffed bear she loves that wasn't designed as a cat toy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Siamese brothers mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, one of our cats used to steal my son’s plush teddy bear and haul it all over. It’s just a variation of their hint, chase, kill game. I would make sure they have plenty of stuffed toys their size to choose from and then hopefully they will leave their bed in place.
Thanks

AndyTilt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a plush fuzzy blanket that Jack loves to make biscuits and nap in, and a little stuffed snowman that I'll hide in his cat tree and he likes to pounce and chase.

ClumsyBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten loves soft fabrics too. He makes biscuits and sucks on blankets, and his favourite toys are the ones that are softer. I think it reminds him of fur? The blankets - a mother, and the toys - a prey. He also dragged my bf's soft blanket to his office while he was gone for a few days, so I think the smell that absorbs in these fabrics is important too.