Kittens not using litter box yet - tips?

Elemteacherjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!

I'm fostering two 4 week old (tiny!) kittens for my local SPCA. I'm looking for any suggestions you can give me for teaching them how to use a litter box; they have not used it yet, and I have had them for about 3 days. I have a low, shallow container with the pine pellet litter that the shelter uses. I've been trying to "show" them the litter box by placing them in it, and even gently moving their paws in a "digging" motion. I've also tried placing their poops inside, and putting the box in the spots where I notice them going to the bathroom.

They're currently housed in a pet play pen. I had lots of blankets to cover the bottom, but for now until they get it I've lined the bottom with pee pads, and only have blankets in their bed area.

Any suggestions for how to teach these guys? Or will they just eventually get it? I wish they had a mama cat to watch. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They may not be quite ready at 4 weeks and so tiny. Give them time but keep doing what you are doing. They really will catch on eventually.

Are they weaned or are you bottle feeding? How much do they weigh?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elemteacherjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sarthur2, I will do that. :)

They are weaned onto gruel (kitten food mixed with KMR), but only as of recently. When I first got them they were still being supplemented with the bottle, but now they eat enough of the gruel that they are full with just that. I'm not sure of their weight.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try nonclumping clay litter, it is easier on their feet, and more like dirt. Nonclumping because sometimes kittens eat the litter. Try to get some of their waste to put in the box too to give them an idea. 4 weeks is a little young, but it is instinctive for cats to bury their waste so eventually they will use the box. I think they are just not ready yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elemteacherjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try nonclumping clay litter, it is easier on their feet, and more like dirt.
Wow, your advice was perfect. I picked up some non clumping litter today (part of my Target drive up order due to social distancing), and the started using it almost right away! I know there may still be accidents, but least they have somewhat of an idea now. :)