Kitten's not nursing

Mumof52020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi guys I'm new and hoping for some help

My cat had 4 kittens about 3 hours ago sadly 1 was stillborn, the other 3 arrived quite quickly and seem healthy

So now we are 3 hours in and the kittens still aren't nursing, when should I start.to worry?? I tried holding them to mums teat but its almost like they don't no what they are doing

What should I do??

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never raised kittens but they need nourishment asap so you have to bottle feed or get help. I m sure someone else will respond that's more knowledgeable

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never taken care of a litter of newborn kittens but I have taken care of puppies.
We can use puppies as reference then adjust our strategy for kittens. Okay?

Puppies should start to nurse within the first hour after they are born. The sooner the better. More like a half hour.
If they don't nurse as soon as they are able to find the mother's nipples, they need to be fed by hand.

Does the mother offer to nurse? Are the kittens even searching for their mother? Are they trying to nurse but coming up dry?

In any case, the kittens need to be fed ASAP.

Kittens should not be fed cow's milk. They need special "Kitten Milk Replacer" (Also known as "KMR." Sometimes, you'll see it labeled as "Kitten Milk.")

You can go to the pet store and get some KMR. Often, they will also have bottles or syringes to feed the kittens with. Get both if you can. Try the bottle but, if they don't take it, you might need to use a syringe.

You might be able to find KMR in the pet aisle of a regular grocery store. Walmart probably has it, too.

If you can't find KMR, you can substitute goat's milk in a pinch but, since goat's milk will probably be harder to find than KMR, look for that first.

If you can't get your kittens to nurse from their mother, you need to get some KMR on short order. The clock is ticking!

Get your KMR mixed up in a small batch. Try to give a little of it to the kittens with an eyedropper or something. Just to give them a taste. Then try to get them to take a bottle. Feed them as much as they need then let them rest.

Next time, give them a taste then rub a dab of KMR on the mother's nipple and try to get them to nurse normally.

If that works to "jump start" the kittens eating, cross your fingers and hope they'll be good to go.

If not, you are going to have to stand in for Mom until they eat on their own.

If it's been three hours since they have been born and they haven't eaten yet, you should get in the car and drive to the store, post haste!

Fingers crossed for you! Prayers be with you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree totally with the above.. You must begin with handfeeding.

Two additions: Goats milk is OK to use, and if you can get RAW goats milk, its even excellent, potentially better than a random kmr.

(do NOT use products of Hartz kmr).

Second, if they are weak, and this is the reason they dont suckle on momma, they may have difficulties with a bottle. If so, a little syringe or a dropper may be easier for them to swallow. Train some first, because its a little tricky first times you do it.

You can give the a droplet of white caro syrup on their lips / gum, gives quick energhy.

IF you dont get hold of goats milk or kmr, give them some water with a little of this white caro syrup or honey in... Bad nourishment, but it will keep them alive for a while.

M Mumof52020