Kittens Just Neutered

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My two male, 4 month old kittens just got back from being neutered and I was wondering if anyone had tips on things I can do to make them comfy?

It also seems that one of them has weed on their self, how should I clean this safely?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For boys of that age they should be completely back to normal within 24-48 hours. If your vet offered pain medication you can give them that but in general they heal rather quickly and it is fairly non invasive. I didn't give my boy pain medication because he is grumpy/disoriented on pain medication so the treatment was worse for him than the pain.

If you notice them licking the site too much you can put a cone on (a paper plate with a hole cut in it makes a great kitten emergency cone). The biggest thing is just preventing then from agitating it while it heals.

For the wee, just a warm damp paper towel or washcloth should suffice to clean a little mess. Use a dry paper towel or cloth to lightly dab the area after and allow to air dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For boys of that age they should be completely back to normal within 24-48 hours. If your vet offered pain medication you can give them that but in general they heal rather quickly and it is fairly non invasive. I didn't give my boy pain medication because he is grumpy/disoriented on pain medication so the treatment was worse for him than the pain.

If you notice them licking the site too much you can put a cone on (a paper plate with a hole cut in it makes a great kitten emergency cone). The biggest thing is just preventing then from agitating it while it heals.

For the wee, just a warm damp paper towel or washcloth should suffice to clean a little mess. Use a dry paper towel or cloth to lightly dab the area after and allow to air dry.
Thank you, I did clean him with a damp cloth and he seems a lot happier. They did offer pain meds but I was told they wouldn't need it and they seem absolutely fine.

I did notice one licking down there quite a bit but he soon stopped and has been distracted by his first meal in almost 24 hours.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My boy licked a few times and moved on too. If you notice them obsessively licking or the site gets red/swollen thats when you need the cone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy licked a few times and moved on too. If you notice them obsessively licking or the site gets red/swollen thats when you need the cone.
Okay, thank you.

It's a big help knowing what to do in certain situations.