Kittens have no tails and seems that they have swimmer syndrome or manx syndrome

EddieBuddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I took on 2 kittens that have some neurological problems. Neither have any tails at all and one hops like a bunny. Neither of those are big problems. The one who hops has digestive issues. He has diarrhea shortly after he eats. Because his poor little legs sprawl out it gets all over his legs and hips. It sticks to his butt and he is constantly getting a bath which he hates. He has a sore hiney that I have been covering with vaseline or organic honey, but after reading a few post I plan to try A&D ointment. Both kittens BM's are a dark gray color and is sticky and very smelly. We have seen the Vet a couple of times but he's a small town Vet and doesn't seem to know what to do. He thinks either swimmer syndrome or Manx syndrome. If anyone has experience I would greatly appreciate your knowledge and suggestions. Thank you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a Manx kitty. She looked like a bunny when she ran hopped. Luckily she didn’t have any neuroglogic issues but the vet said it could happen. She had told me feed her pumpkin to try and keep her colon working ok. She compared it to a stretched out tube sock. I don’t know if you have tiktok but there are lots of people that have cats with paralyzed back legs and they show the life. One uses diapers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EddieBuddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
To support what you're doing regarding cleaning them there's this;
Urine Scald — Kitten Lady She talks about this ointment
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006IB5T4W/?tag=thecatsite

They don't have worms or parasites?

Can you supplement them with pedialyte and/or kitten glop? There are recipes here;
Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines.
They don't have worms or parasites, the Vet did a fecal sample. Thank you for the links I will definitely read them. I didn't know about the recipes but will be looking at those too. I had gotten pedialyte for them but noticed it hadzinc in it and an article I read said not to give cats zinc. I am so glad I this site, I've been looking for days to find a place that could help us. I'm also wondering if they might have spina bifida. They were born in an old garage and the woman was considering euthanasia and we just had to do what we could to help them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EddieBuddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a Manx kitty. She looked like a bunny when she ran hopped. Luckily she didn’t have any neuroglogic issues but the vet said it could happen. She had told me feed her pumpkin to try and keep her colon working ok. She compared it to a stretched out tube sock. I don’t know if you have tiktok but there are lots of people that have cats with paralyzed back legs and they show the life. One uses diapers.
I don't have tiktok but I will get it now that I know that. I have been giving them a bit of pumkin and I think it helps a bit. It's so hard to tell. They gobble up their food and act hungry all of the time. I've actually though of diapers but I'm waiting a bit on that. Thank you for your reply

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have tiktok but I will get it now that I know that. I have been giving them a bit of pumkin and I think it helps a bit. It's so hard to tell. They gobble up their food and act hungry all of the time. I've actually though of diapers but I'm waiting a bit on that. Thank you for your reply
Cappybears is the account name
11DDC540-037B-4233-9788-63226DFDF624.jpeg

sallyfry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I took on 2 kittens that have some neurological problems. Neither have any tails at all and one hops like a bunny. Neither of those are big problems. The one who hops has digestive issues. He has diarrhea shortly after he eats. Because his poor little legs sprawl out it gets all over his legs and hips. It sticks to his butt and he is constantly getting a bath which he hates. He has a sore hiney that I have been covering with vaseline or organic honey, but after reading a few post I plan to try A&D ointment. Both kittens BM's are a dark gray color and is sticky and very smelly. We have seen the Vet a couple of times but he's a small town Vet and doesn't seem to know what to do. He thinks either swimmer syndrome or Manx syndrome. If anyone has experience I would greatly appreciate your knowledge and suggestions. Thank you.
I have a similar cat, little or no tail, back leg bunny hops, and seems to have little or no control over feces. Pees in litter box or on pee pads, but poops whenever the urge strikes. Right now I'm supplementing her wet foods with pumpkin powder and psyllium powder to firm things up a bit. Also considering diapers. Her anus is irritated and my vet suggested aqua-hot ointment.