Kitten’s first heat cycle am I doing it right?

Yania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten Oreo has gone into her first heat cycle about 4 days ago when she tried to dash out the door and she hissed at me for the second time like ever. But I noticed yesterday that she was very vocal, rubbing against objects, and raising her butt in the air. We have heating pads for her and my mom and I have been petting and brushing her. For some reason she like being tapped and patted repeatedly on her hips which is pretty weird but she gets into this meowing fit that won’t go away until I pat her butt and I think it relieves her heat for a while because she goes back to normal. Does anyone know why this happens and is this acceptable?

I can’t wait for them to be spayed but she’s only about 4 months old and we originally thought we had to spay her and Nugget at 6 months. Thankfully we only have to wait about 2 more months and they’ll both be spayed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Call around - there are vets who spay earlier than 6 months. It will be miserable for you and your kittens waiting 2 more months. Check your local SPCA or Humane Society. Many of these organizations will spay as early as 8 or 12 weeks.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
..It will be miserable for you and your kittens waiting 2 more months...
This is true. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I've had kitties suffer through their best cycles before I could get them spayed. Yania, do what you can to get your girls spayed as soon as practical. Don't wait!

Don't worry though. You're doing the best you know how and you're asking the right questions.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't wait! Contact vets and rescues to find out if they can get spayed asap. If you have them booked at a vet clinic contact that vet and let them know they are in heat already and must be spayed asap. If you send them a video in heat hopefully they will agree to spay sooner.