Kittens eating dog food!

MariaMaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted 2 kittens. They have their kitten food in an isolated area and they eat there. They also get wet kitten food 2x a day. However, I keep catching them eating my dog's dry food. I can't stop them because the food is on the floor. Is this okay? Or is it harmful?

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll let others more knowledgeable about nutrition and differences between dog/cat food handle that, but wanted to mention what has helped me in case the option is helpful for you.

My oldest cat is on medication that increases her appetite, and my younger two have not had problems with weight gain and graze more through the day and free feed dry in between wet meals. I invested in a chip feeder, which activates and opens when reading the cats microchip (the ones used if a pet is lost). The feeder also comes with a chip tag that can be worn with a collar if a pet is not microchipped. Because each chip is unique, I have my younger two able to use the feeder and my oldest cannot as the feeder was not set up to read her microchip and will not open for her. It is a bit pricy, but worth the investment IMO and it's still working after over a year and a half.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dog food doesn't contain taurine, an essential amino acid that cats require. A stray piece or two won't cause any harm but keep the kittens out of the dog food. They need to eat kitten food. Kittens eat a lot of food so make sure to have dry kitten food available and offer a few canned food meals daily.

Easy way to keep the kittens out of the dog food: Pick the dog's bowl off the floor when the dog is done eating and clean up stray kibble pieces. If the dog must have access to food whenever it wants, invest in a microchip feeder.