Kittens eating big boy food

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you make a feeding station for your older boy? Is he microchipped? One of our members, Carolina, did so with a programmable cat flap, litter box furniture and some ingenuity; she describes how and why she did it in this thread, complete with photos.
Oh yes! Totally forgot about that wonderful feeding station she devised. That would work in this situation. If your older isn't chipped yet you could get him one. I don't think, all told, it was terribly expensive to build. I'm sure Carolina would be glad to give you even deeper details on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

1of10000fists

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have read through this thread three times and I can sense all the frustration on all sides. People are trying to help, but obviously no advice so far given is practicable. There is one thing that may have been missed, and that is WHY the kittens (and at over 6 months they are almost young cats, not kittens) seem to be so hungry. How often do you worm them? Even inside cats need worming, especially when they are young and susceptible, as all kittens get worms from their mothers and it can take two or three doses to get rid of them all. As you rightly say, young cats that age should not be fat. But the vast majority of cats do not gorge on food or overeat, certainly not on a regular basis, so you do need to analyse whether there is a physical reason for it.

The other thing is what you are feeding them. I do not see anywhere that anyone has accused you of feeding them 'junk', but it is a fact that most kibbles, even the more expensive ones, are high in carbs that a cat simply eliminates. So maybe you should look carefully at the list of ingredients and if necessary switch to a low carb or grain free dry food. This would be better for them in the long run, anyway.

You suggest getting them to 'hunt' for their food. I think that could be a good idea as it would keep them occupied. Have you tried the treat balls, that you fill with kibble or treats and that have holes in them so that the morsels fall out as the cat plays with it? I have tried that with a cat who ate too quickly so it was sick, and it worked wonders.

You also say the kittens are not interested in toys, only in you. I am not sure if you have really tried to combine the two, as in playing with them a lot, especially at bedtime, with a wand toy or other high-energy toy like Da bird. This might gradually get them to play more by themselves and divert their attention.

I know how annoying it can be to have a serious problem that you cannot seem to solve, when all advice seems to be wrong or irrelevant. But our members are trying to help, it is always difficult to put yourself in anyone else's shoes, and of course, part of the joy of cats is that they are individual personalities too, and we all have to find the key to our own furry family. Sometimes we do need the support and help of others, so I would ask you to take all posts in the spirit of cooperation that is intended, and we all hope you will end up with three happy and contented cats.
First, I would like to say I have been out of town, so I am not ignoring these really helpful comments. I was able to read your post, while on the way back from the vet with the "kittens" You're right that they are not kittens really, but not adults yet. However, I had to get their paperwork and stuff for their new vet, and realized they are only 5 months old. So still younger. Anyway, thank you for being thoughtful about this and looking at another angle. Had I not been to the vet the day you posted, I would have gone as a result of it, as I would have realized what Ive been giving them was not good enough. 

Worming past: I have wormed them with the walmart kind, not once a month, maybe every 6 weeks or so. Did the first one as labeled. So I thought, as indoor kittens (mother too) and my cat never being outside either it should be fine. Anyway, I asked the vet about one not pooping as much as they other. She said it is something we needed to do as that is a huge sign. She asked how much they eat and I went into all this and she said yup. They need it. Not that they have them for sure (didn't have a sample) but could be a likely cause of a lot of this. Of course, the big boy got some meds too. I asked about their weight, one is 6.5 lbs. (didn't tell me the other ones weight) and she was very vague, just said they have rib coverage and shrugged. And that was the fatter but physically smaller one (bigger belly, very solid and heavy but smaller, the other has more fat hanging but is leaner everywhere else, is bigger but also has a fat tummy). She didn't say if the weight was normal or not, if they were average or not. Didn't ask anything else (diet, etc), just kinda "eh". I wanted to think it was in my head, that they are not fat, as everyone said. That they are normal, I wanted a doctors confirmation after all the "kittens dint get fat" comments. But she didn't say one way or the other. A bit upset at that.

Worms present: Anyway, I think at least one has/had worms. He is the one who didn't play or move much. He didn't have "sick eyes" or walk like he was out of energy, none of that. He runs up and downstairs when he needs to, follows his brother sometimes and his gait is normal. Just seemed really lazy and didn't crave affection or cuddles. Was content in my lap or being held, or on my shoulder, but didn't ask for it like the other one. Well, all weekend, at my brothers, he was a different cat. He wanted to be around me, asked for pets, looked into my eyes and wanted to be picked up! Still not vocal and is very shy about it, but its early, he's probably still feeling yucky. I never thought it could be worms as they didn't have the really huge bloated worm belly, Just fat. Like after they eat, but it never went away. We are home now and they are crashing around upstairs like crazy! A good sign! 

Food: I know all about "most" kibble. TOTW is grain free, have been feeding them that since I got them. That's what my older cat ate until he had to go on wet food. I have trusted it for 3-4 years and to my knowledge, there have never been safety issues. If anyone knows of this company having a bad rep for any reason, I'd like to know. I stay away from anyone with poor QC and the biggies (Iams/Eukanuba, Hill's, Innova, Halo, etc). Too much marketing and it seems fishy. Quality food speaks for itself and my cat will eat a good food. Everyone will have differing opinions on this, I'm sure. But unless someone has some sort of hard documented evidence that TOTW should be avoided, I trust it. For my cats anyway. My older can't have it, and has to have Fancy Feast (vets recommendation). I hate having to give him that, but until hes at his target weight, its the only food thats 1. Low fat (2-5%) 2. Higher carbs (for his blood sugar) 3. doesn't make him throw up and 4.he digests normally and most importantly, he will eat it. He won't eat any of those other brands anyway except TOTW wet and Instinct Rabbit formula (both are too high fat right now) We stopped lactulose once he went on it.  Beside the point, sorry. I may switch to another brand, once I do more research on a few others Ive tried (they aren't as picky as the older guy). But we are ok as of now. Might even try raw again, when I'm more settled medically, with the seasoning this time. See if Mr. Idonteatthat will try it. 

Hunting for food: I tried it and it was amazing! I hid like 8 plates (just two cans worth) of food all around the house before bed. Went to bed like normal. They found and ate a few of the plates but not all of them (even caught the big boy playing the game, which will be a problem as its too fatty for him). They left his food in my bedroom completely alone! Did not even eat the easier to find plates. This tells me they wanted to hunt, not that they were hungry, or they would have eaten the easy to find food, as well as the food in my room when it was all gone. It was only two cans, one per kitten, and if they were hungry all the plates would have been empty. I was really happy. This will be tricky and time consuming. But needs to be done if they keep eating the food after the wormer has done its job. 

Playing: they have lots of different toys. Feather wands, birds with feather wands, an octopus wand, chirping birds, crinkly birds, rolling balls with bells inside, feathers with bells, paper toys, catnip toys (besides dried and fresh human grade catnip that they love, I am growing some grass). I try to play with them with the toys, but they play for a second and try to take it from me and take it to bed. Sometimes they play with it for a few minutes, or with me, but they always just leave it behind or bring it to their bed and sleep with whatever it is. They dint wanna play with anything, not even me. They wanna be with me, but not playing. One is more active, curious. Looking all over the house for something to do, but doesn't think toys are much fun. I think, though, its how they feel. They already sound more active and are acting different. So, I am happy that they are feeling better than what I thought was normal (but wasn't). Thanks for expressing concern about the frustration and for your post and for sharing the info about that contraption. It may or may not be an option if this situation doesn't resolve itself with the hiding food and worming. I looked at it, but not too closely. Didn't try to figure out the specifics of it. 

Microchipping: yes, all of them are microchipped. I couldnt live where I live without having it done. Otherwise, I wouldnt do it. My cats dont even go near the doors or are not even allowed on window sills for fear that they will break the screen and fall out (i.e. no danger of getting out). For these kind of cats, I dont see why they need it, Im over protective in making sure they dont escape. I dont like them having that thing in their bodies. Its a foreign object and I cant imagine its good for them. I understand some cats or dogs need it and Im not gonna judge people who microchip. Its a necessity for lots of animals. For mine, we had to. I already know, find another place to live. This is the best for us right now and please lets not discuss this. Its just my view, not asking anyone to think like me. I'm answering the question but am embarrassed to say "yes" because of my views on this, but am trying not to ignore a comment I think is helpful. Because of my husbands job, we need to live in this community where they need to be chipped. What do you do.

And the only reason I joined the site? To get help with the food question. Which, I think I have just about beat to the ground. Thankful to say this: these last few comments really were helpful and I am done.