Kittens Covered In Poop In Sack

jadeandalex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat started giving birth sometime in the middle of the night. She had 4 of them before I realized she was even in labor. I watched her give birth to the 5th. She delivered like a champ, but I noticed that it was covered in poop inside the sack before she started cleaning it. Also, the other 4 kittens are black and white and the white spots are kind of yellow like they too were born covered in poop. They are all eating, mama Is taking care of them beautifully, just wondering about the poop. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its not the most common, but I hope no need for concern. I believe their poop in the vomb comes out into the fluids, IF it comes out. Although most poop first time as born. Its usually the blackish "tar".

Continue to observe and monitor them. Weigh them daily so you are sure they add as they shall.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are the kittens doing now? Are they nursing well, breathing well?

How is mom doing?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's fairly normal. I just heard about a puppy who was born that way and ended up being green after his mama cleaned him off, because the bile stained his fur :D. But he's otherwise normal. Just keep an eye on them, but I think they'll be fine.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When the kittens, or even a human baby, begin pooping before birth - usually in the birth canal - the poop is called meconium.

It can be dangerous if it is aspirated, as poop contains bacteria. It can also clog up the lungs.

So if you notice that mom (since she licked it) or kittens seem to have trouble breathing or eating, get to a vet right away for antibiotics.

It sounds like they are okay so far!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jadeandalex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Sorry it took this long to reply! We somehow gained an extra kitten. Most of them are black and white, and one (now two) of them are dark like mama. So either I miscounted originally and counted the dark kittens as one, or she had delayed labor with the 8th. Either way, everyone is doing well, babies are getting fatter and fluffier every day, eyes are open, they are starting to explore their surroundings a little. We have decided to keep two of the babies when the time comes, and we are about to set up a vet appointment to get Jade fixed. Until then she has been confined indoors, which she is none to happy about, but we have no desire for more babies :) The two we are keeping will also be fixed as soon as they are old enough, and will be kept indoors as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jadeandalex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No? I did not know I needed to? We didn't with her first litter either and they were fine.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a good idea, to make sure they're all growing properly. If you aren't weighing them and one started losing weight, you may not notice until it's too late. But hopefully everything will keep going well!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's how you can monitor that they are all doing well.

Can you keep mom 100% inside and away from intact males? Do you plan to spay her when this litter has weaned?