Kittens, counters and tables?

atypicalaries

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just adopted two kittens two months ago, a brother and sister. Gibson (the brother) doesn't have as much of an issue, sometimes he jumps up on the table but gets right down when I make the "ssst" noise at him. Bolt (the sister), not so much. She's constantly on the counters looking for everything and anything to eat, even if she has a full food bowl, and the table, which makes playing board games especially difficult now and she has a need to knock everything off, no matter how much I try to play with her and deviate her attention.

Any advice? :/

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Does your cat have a place hey like that they cnq be isntead fo the table?     Sometimes, giving positive alternatives will help.

If all else fails, you may consider a product called the Ssscat, which is a motio0n sensor that sprays a puff of air at your cat when they go places that they shouldn't.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

atypicalaries

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've tried getting them a cat tree, which they use, and try to give them new toys whenever we can. She knows she's not supposed to be up there, so whenever she hears us coming I can hear the bell on her collar jingle like she just jumped off. The "Ssscat" sounds like it'd work beautifully, but we can't afford that until next month. Been using double sided tape, which has been helping when she isn't trying to eat it.

orientals

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine are up on the kitchen counter a lot. They want to see what I'm doing and they also use this as a jumping off point to get onto the cabinets above. But when I'm preparing food for them or for us they know to stay on the floor.

This was not something I set out to teach, just that it was impossible to do anything with food with them up there. So I gently put them on the floor and will say something like: "be patient" or "not now". And they don't jump back up. They did at first, but I would just put them on the floor again.

The rest of the time I make absolutely sure there is nothing for them to eat or dig out on the kitchen counter, so it has become a place of no great interest to them. This works in our house.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: