Kittens Coming Soon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

edeezz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One thing I haven't asked.
I have a big yard. Way too big for a pet to explore alone, plus I have like 3 strays cats in my yard that my family feeds daily.
The room the kittens will be in has no windows:
1) Should I feel bad if I don't let them outside?
2) It's very SUPER HOT during the summer here, and with no windows I need to have the door to outside opened or else I'm gonna turn into a spicy indian chicken, how can I do this without them simply going outside? I don't want them to interact with the stray cats. Should I cover the exit with something so then don't leave/run?

Suggestions very welcomed.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for doing so much research before bringing your babies home! They are lucky to have you.

It’s very important that you talk to a vet about vaccinations, deworming, and spaying/neutering. First vaccinations and dewormer should happen now, and spaying/neutering in the next month or two.

It’s fine, and much safer, to keep them inside as long as you enrich their environment with toys and playtime. Many cats like a cat tree under a window so they can look outside.

Are the cats in your yard spayed and neutered? Can you encourage your girlfriend’s mom to fix her cats?

edeezz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for doing so much research before bringing your babies home! They are lucky to have you.

It’s very important that you talk to a vet about vaccinations, deworming, and spaying/neutering. First vaccinations and dewormer should happen now, and spaying/neutering in the next month or two.

It’s fine, and much safer, to keep them inside as long as you enrich their environment with toys and playtime. Many cats like a cat tree under a window so they can look outside.

Are the cats in your yard spayed and neutered? Can you encourage your girlfriend’s mom to fix her cats?
If everything goes smoothly the vaccinations and deworming will happen tomorrow.

Unfortunately there's no window in the room they will be staying.

The cats in my yard are stray, they run from us, we simply feed them which is the least we can do. AS for my girlfriend's mom, I'm unsure about their history, I've heard she goes to the town shelter but it's pretty heard given her financial status and I'm not one to judge given her current state.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should, if you ever do decide to go on vacation, especially Algarve.

Gosh Ireland looks bossy and judgemental(send my respect), Edwina looks puffy :), very gorgeous
You bring them to work?
It's so funny you say that about Ireland: we say that about her all the time! :lol: She's the needy cat. And a little mean sometimes, too, because she gets jealous. Edwina (who just hopped up on my lap) is happy all the time, she's the kind of cat who always just makes you smile, and she's very fluffy! They're both ridiculously affectionate. I work at home (I'm a translator) so they come to work with me every day. I'll put in a photo of Edwina hard at work. She really loves sitting on the dictionary.

And Portugal, yes, I've always heard great things about Portugal! I've been looking into flights (to Frankfurt) for the fall and TAP might be an option; who knows, maybe I'll get a flight with a long layover if the fare is low and spend a day in Lisbon? :)

edeezz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's so funny you say that about Ireland: we say that about her all the time! :lol: She's the needy cat. And a little mean sometimes, too, because she gets jealous. Edwina (who just hopped up on my lap) is happy all the time, she's the kind of cat who always just makes you smile, and she's very fluffy! They're both ridiculously affectionate. I work at home (I'm a translator) so they come to work with me every day. I'll put in a photo of Edwina hard at work. She really loves sitting on the dictionary.

And Portugal, yes, I've always heard great things about Portugal! I've been looking into flights (to Frankfurt) for the fall and TAP might be an option; who knows, maybe I'll get a flight with a long layover if the fare is low and spend a day in Lisbon? :)

Wow, is it just me or if you cover half of her head she's either a ferocious tiger or a chill looking cat :lol:

A translator(books?), that's pretty awesome! That equals to a lot of coffee I assume. Well if you've never been to Lisbon it's a great city, but on the other hand, I'm all in to Frankfurt.

...those paws though..adorable

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could try building a catio in your yard. A tunnel from the house to the catio to give them access. That would be a safe way to give them some outside space without worrying about dangers or the local strays. You can also leash train so they can go a little further.

Can you put a screen on the door? We have screen doors at all our doors so we can open for a breeze but keep insects out (but it also works to keep cats in). Maybe it’s an American thing but all our windows and doors have screens. The only issue is cats claws on screens but a screen guard (heavier metal screen) usually handles that.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, is it just me or if you cover half of her head she's either a ferocious tiger or a chill looking cat :lol:

A translator(books?), that's pretty awesome! That equals to a lot of coffee I assume. Well if you've never been to Lisbon it's a great city, but on the other hand, I'm all in to Frankfurt.

...those paws though..adorable
Oh, yes, she has that sort of double look! Both cats are very sweet but also pretty fierce, if, say the neighbor cat (who's at least a twenty-pounder, he's gigantic) comes to the front door and looks through the glass at them. (Ireland freaked out last week and brawled with Edwina, who had nothing to do with it.) Anyway, yes, Edwina's paws are the cutest ever.

Translation does, indeed, require large quantities of coffee! I love it, though, probably because I've been a book fiend all my life.

The problem with work travel is that I hardly see much of the places I visit so if I were to spend a day in Lisbon I'd probably see more of Lisbon than I'll see of Frankfurt in my three full days there!

Enjoy the kittens!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try building a catio in your yard. A tunnel from the house to the catio to give them access. That would be a safe way to give them some outside space without worrying about dangers or the local strays. You can also leash train so they can go a little further.

Can you put a screen on the door? We have screen doors at all our doors so we can open for a breeze but keep insects out (but it also works to keep cats in). Maybe it’s an American thing but all our windows and doors have screens. The only issue is cats claws on screens but a screen guard (heavier metal screen) usually handles that.
There are lots of good variations on the catio theme. If you google it, E edeezz , you should get lots of ideas, including thingies you can attach to a window. Our cats are indoor-only and they're happy with that because we play with them plus they have a nice screened-in veranda. If you have strays in the yard, I'd definitely keep your kittens in.

Screen doors are great, though, I do have a suspicion that they're more common in the US than other countries! There can be a downside: we now leave the glass in our front (screen) door all year round because the cats were climbing up the screen. We have double screens (the second screens are the little expando metal screen devices, very sturdy) in the windows because of clawing and because the screens are a bit flimsy.

edeezz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Finally I have some time to tell you cat-lovers that me and kittens are doing fine.
Meet Oliver & Benji(right to left).

Took them yesterday to the vet.
Both had ear mites, currently applying some drops in their ears once a day for the next 3 weeks, struggled a lot at the vet. Didn't get their shots yet though, vet said we should wait because they were sick.
Benji had/has Conjunctivitis(pink eyes) and diarrhea, hand't eaten anything friday and most of sunday he was feeling very weak, he just wanted to sleep, today he wroke up CATASTIC however and with tons of energy and eating a lot.
Oliver was ok til just now, ate/drank normally, meowing a lot, specially at night, sometimes during the day. He just puked now ,was a bit different, twice in the last half hour, his poo was diarrhea style.
God damn the poo smells so freaking bad, most likely because of diarrhea. May God bring some sunshine into my nose.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are adorable kittens! Are they littermates?! Of course Benji definitely looks like he's got Siamese in him. (And OMG, those huge ears! He's so cute.) I'm glad you were able to get them to the vet right away -- it sounds like they really needed the visit. (I think that's usually the way...)

I'm glad to hear Benji's feeling better today and hope Oliver starts to feel better, too. You're feeding them something different from what they've been eating, right? That can often cause digestive upset (and Siamese and mixes are definitely prone to digestive issues... our vet told us that the first time she saw our cats and she was very right!) though it often goes away fairly quickly. Plus I'm sure your kittens are stressed from the big changes. Most cats don't seem to eat much in the first couple days after a big move.

The more you're able to get wet food into them -- for the water and for the simpler recipe, too -- the better, so they don't get dehydrated. That's especially important in such little kittens. Putting water dishes out is good, too, of course, but a lot of cats don't really go for the bowl. Keep a close eye on them and definitely give the vet a call if either of them seems listless. We had to do that with a cat shortly after we'd adopted her: she had a respiratory infection, wasn't eating much, and got dehydrated. Some fluids at the vet's perked her up very quickly, though; it's usually quick, easy, and inexpensive to have that done.

Have fun with them! And may their poo smell better soon.

edeezz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Those are adorable kittens! Are they littermates?! Of course Benji definitely looks like he's got Siamese in him. (And OMG, those huge ears! He's so cute.) I'm glad you were able to get them to the vet right away -- it sounds like they really needed the visit. (I think that's usually the way...)

I'm glad to hear Benji's feeling better today and hope Oliver starts to feel better, too. You're feeding them something different from what they've been eating, right? That can often cause digestive upset (and Siamese and mixes are definitely prone to digestive issues... our vet told us that the first time she saw our cats and she was very right!) though it often goes away fairly quickly. Plus I'm sure your kittens are stressed from the big changes. Most cats don't seem to eat much in the first couple days after a big move.

The more you're able to get wet food into them -- for the water and for the simpler recipe, too -- the better, so they don't get dehydrated. That's especially important in such little kittens. Putting water dishes out is good, too, of course, but a lot of cats don't really go for the bowl. Keep a close eye on them and definitely give the vet a call if either of them seems listless. We had to do that with a cat shortly after we'd adopted her: she had a respiratory infection, wasn't eating much, and got dehydrated. Some fluids at the vet's perked her up very quickly, though; it's usually quick, easy, and inexpensive to have that done.

Have fun with them! And may their poo smell better soon.
You mistook Benji with Oliver. Ollie is the Siamese with the elf ears.

They're both fine now, eating a lot, drinking a lot and playing lots, I've actually got a ceramic water fountain, they love it!
Yes I initially gave them some wet food, switched to a little pack of dry kibbles vet gave us and now back to what they were eating before.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's a nice-looking fountain! It looks like the water just flows over the surface, is that right? It looks easy to clean and very appealing for a cat.

It's great to hear they're both feeling better now. I hope they keep eating and playing well -- they're awfully cute~

edeezz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, that's a nice-looking fountain! It looks like the water just flows over the surface, is that right? It looks easy to clean and very appealing for a cat.

It's great to hear they're both feeling better now. I hope they keep eating and playing well -- they're awfully cute~
I love that fountain. Super cute!
Yeah it's the best one I could find, no noise, can hold up to 2L, heavy(ceramic) so they can't flip it over, it's small/medium size, easy to set up and clean, plus you don't need filters. They're drinking non-stop. Definitely worth the money.