Kittens chewing and spreading paper and anything else. Help!!

newkittyowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
We have two kittens born In April and we adopted in July. They chew anything and everything paper or cardboard. Leave any of my child's are out by mistake and its chewed or shredded, books shredded etc! I have had cats all my life and never seen this before. Anyone know what we can do to stop this behavior? Besides trying not to leave anything out? Help! Thanks oh and they have a scratching post which they do use.

Last edited:

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
We have two kittens born In April and we adopted in July. They chew anything and everything paper or cardboard. Leave any of my child's are out by mistake and its chewed or shredded, books shredded etc! I have had cats all my life and never seen this before.
Maybe the cats in your life were not kittens? The chewing and shredding are common behavior of hyperactive, playful kittens. I have one right now and she's a handful. 
 You really need to keep the things you don't want the kittens to "play" with. Other than the scratching post, what other items do they have to keep them occupied? With my little one, I give her old shoeboxes, cardboards, newspaper. I believe she will outgrow this behavior and yours will too. 

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with yayi. My kitten (just a little younger than yours) loves chewing on paper and cardboard. He even tries chewing on the corner of my laptop at times! I don't know if he's teething or just being silly. But he's very much like having a toddler in the house; everything goes in his mouth. So I have to be very careful not to leave out things I don't want him chewing on. 

Perhaps you could provide some cardboard for him to chew on, or paper for supervised play? Oliver loves chasing and attacking paper balls. I haven't seen him try to eat the paper, just rip it apart. And he has a "condo" of cardboard boxes which he likes to chew on when he's not jumping around/in it.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also agree with the feedback above.  Something else you might consider providing for them to chew are jumbo drinking straws- cats tend to LOVE them.  I'd also consider getting at least one more scratching post.  Do they have lots of toys of their own? Playing with them using interactive toys might also help them burn some energy.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkittyowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys great suggestions . They loved straws at first but no so much anymore. I will get some jumbo ones as the ones I had were skinnier ones. I will try a ball of paper and box condo too when I get some boxes!

Last edited: