Kittens Behavioral Problem!

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he is 2.5 month old. I know he is very young. I adopted him month ago. I have another kitten around 3 month old. He is also adopted 2 months ago. They are like best friends now. Big kitty is perfect, loving, caring not aggressive. But small one is cries espeacially at night, he wants to suck my shirt at night. He is not alone, they play all the time, sleeps together. Vet checked him and everything is fine. Do you think he changes when he grows up? I am sleepless for a month now.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is still very young. These days the "recommendation" is to keep kittens with their mom and siblings till they are 12 weeks old. So even though you've had him a month, he's still younger than the recommended adoption age.

I do think he probably will outgrow some of his behaviour. And having his older "sibling" is sure to help with his cat etiquette and manners. I think, right now, he considers you his "momma", and wants to be with you.

Adway

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on bonding this way with your younger cat. I envy you :) . Mine are the same age & have total disregard for me 99.9% of the time. Mine are siblings & have emotional bond & mutual emotional dependency. Yours will probably bond that way with each other in a few days, but meanwhile, enjoy being 'Mama' to younger one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on bonding this way with your younger cat. I envy you :) . Mine are the same age & have total disregard for me 99.9% of the time. Mine are siblings & have emotional bond & mutual emotional dependency. Yours will probably bond that way with each other in a few days, but meanwhile, enjoy being 'Mama' to younger one.
They bonded very well actually. I am just concern about his night shift. His brother sleeps almost all night but he wakes up cries like screaming :( In two weeks I will travel abroad for a week. One of my friend will take them and take care of them but I am concern that if we leave for a week He will forget us and he will be more agressive maybe :(

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think you should get a fleece blanket or some other thing for him specifically to suckle on at night so that it doesn't keep you up. It's a totally normal (and common,) behavior for cats who have been separated from their mom too soon. So long as the cat isn't swallowing anything, (or keeping you awake,) it's totally harmless. If you give this kitty their own things to mark with their scent, they will be a source of comfort to him while you're away. One of my cats was abandoned at 4 weeks, and still suckles / kneads when she goes to sleep, but only on her blanket.
As for the crying at night, which I assume is the main source of your sleeplessness, it might be that the kitten is hungry. Very young kittens eat every few hours, so maybe he can't make it through the night like your other cat. The suckling behavior is linked to kittens eating, naturally, so that might be another clue.
If you've eliminated hunger as a source,
I think the most important thing is to not get up and give more attention (so long as you're sure nothing is wrong with the kitten when he wakes up.) Here is a great step-by-step plan for keeping your kitty from waking you up:

How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan)

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are taking them over to your friend’s house, not having your friend come over to yours, is that correct? Does your friend know about the night time behavior? I don’t think it will be resolved in a few weeks, especially if the kitten is in a different place. If this is upsetting to you, please make sure your friend is aware and ok with being awakened or listening to the kitten crying in another room at night. I agree this little one might be hungry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are taking them over to your friend’s house, not having your friend come over to yours, is that correct? Does your friend know about the night time behavior? I don’t think it will be resolved in a few weeks, especially if the kitten is in a different place. If this is upsetting to you, please make sure your friend is aware and ok with being awakened or listening to the kitten crying in another room at night. I agree this little one might be hungry.
She knows hee behavoir. She said I can sleep with them in the same bed if they cry in the night. He wont accept any blanket. Even I gave my shirt and weat new one. He comes and sucks thr new one. I think it must be touch to my skin. Very sweet of him but I need some sleep. I feel like I am a zombie during work. I hope he chnges his attidute