Kitten’s Behavior

KOlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I have some questions and I’m hoping you all could help me. I just got a kitten in July. He is currently 5 months old. My sister and her cat live with me. My sister’s cat Oojo is 3 years old and she is very quiet. She had to be removed early from her mom for her safety, thus, hasn’t had a lot of interaction with other cats. Oojo has a bit of anxiety and doesn’t do well with strangers. She sometimes plays with him and chase each other without hissing or growling. But, sometimes Khafre stalks her and jumps on her. That’s when she jumps and starts hissing. How can I stop him from jumping on her? What can I do to help Oojo with her anxiety?

Thanks,

Bgrosvenor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I have some questions and I’m hoping you all could help me. I just got a kitten in July. He is currently 5 months old. My sister and her cat live with me. My sister’s cat Oojo is 3 years old and she is very quiet. She had to be removed early from her mom for her safety, thus, hasn’t had a lot of interaction with other cats. Oojo has a bit of anxiety and doesn’t do well with strangers. She sometimes plays with him and chase each other without hissing or growling. But, sometimes Khafre stalks her and jumps on her. That’s when she jumps and starts hissing. How can I stop him from jumping on her? What can I do to help Oojo with her anxiety?

Thanks,
Hey,
Hi all,

Thanks,

Bgrosvenor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Thanks,
Hey, I am sorry, new to this, didn’t mean to just say hey before haha.
I would treat her as a human with anxiety. A lot of comfort, positive reinforcement would help, have you taken her to a vets about this? There are medications out there for cats with anxiety, but as a human who suffers with anxiety I wouldn’t take medication myself.
I would ensure when she’s around it’s a fairly quiet and calm environment, she has a comfortable hiding space to go when she needs some time out and you seperate both kitten and herself whenever you feel the younger one is getting too much and too playful.
Good luck, I hope she improves soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KOlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, I am sorry, new to this, didn’t mean to just say hey before haha.
I would treat her as a human with anxiety. A lot of comfort, positive reinforcement would help, have you taken her to a vets about this? There are medications out there for cats with anxiety, but as a human who suffers with anxiety I wouldn’t take medication myself.
I would ensure when she’s around it’s a fairly quiet and calm environment, she has a comfortable hiding space to go when she needs some time out and you seperate both kitten and herself whenever you feel the younger one is getting too much and too playful.
Good luck, I hope she improves soon!

Thank you. Yes, the doctor gave Oojo some anxiety medication. We have tried giving her space and her own places but just two days ago Khafre was able to jump to one of her spots and now Oojo is hiding. She has never hidden before. It’s like Khafre wants to be the dominant cat. When I got Khafre I was told that males never competed for dominance with females but I’m starting to think that is what Khafre is doing. But, just two days ago Oojo was playing with Khafre. They chase each other and their tails are either straight up as in friendly and content or in a hooked shape.

Is that possible that Khafre wants to be the dominant cat? Or is he just too hyper for Oojo?

Thanks,

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like he is hyper and she is more timid.
Can you play with her, and him separately, and together?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like my cats peaches and Maggie. Sometimes they chase each other. Other times Maggie will stalk and jump on her. Every night I would hear a loud screech from peaches. Maggie is 5,Peaches 6. Past few weeks it has finally quieted down. I leave carriers scattered around my apt left open wide for peaches to crawl in when Maggie wants to play.When Khafre gets older she won't be like that and they will learn to tolerate each other.