Kittens are filthy, can I bathe them?

nlchandler87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm fostering a mama cat and her four kittens. This is my first time taking care of kittens and I've had them for roughly a week and a half. The mom nursed them for the first two days and then just quit taking care of them. She doesn't nurse them, she doesn't clean them, she wants nothing to do with them. They're a month old and I was told by the vet that I can start offering them wet cat food. So I've been mixing wet cat food with kitten milk replacer. I'm happy they're eating, but they are absolutely filthy from all the wet cat food. They've also had diarrhea from the wet cat food. I try to wipe them off but am afraid to get them too wet for fear of them getting hypothermia. I feel like I'm not doing a good enough job taking care of them because of how dirty they are, and I know it can't be good for them. There isn't any dried food caked around their eyes, nose or mouth, just a bit in their fur. At four weeks old, should I try to bathe them, or not risk it and just let them be?

kittytech27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They can be bathed and it would probably make them feel better since cats are naturally clean animals. Baby shampoo is good for washing kittens. Wash them in warm water and be extra careful about the rinsing. Make sure the water is running clear and all the soap is off. Dry them really well with a towel and then use a hairdryer on low setting to finish the drying. When you put them back in their nest give them a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel to help them stay warm. You can use a damp washcloth to wipe them up when they are done eating. Keep up the good work!

sallyann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. Try using hypo allergenic wipes. The generic at Target work great. I would not bath them yet. They could catch a chill. I used baby dry formula with taurine. My lost & found kitties thrived better on it without diarrhea.Sad story. I wish you luck with your babies!

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Give them a quick bath with warm water and mild shampoo, be careful with the ears and all the head in general, after you finish dry them with a towel until they get totally dry and put them near a hear source like a heating pad, heating blanket or if you don't one just a bottle with hot water under the blankets. Be careful not to let them wet after you bath them.

Good luck!

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had to wash ours every day from the time they were just a few days old until they were almost two months because of fleas. I would go ahead and bath them- just make sure to get all the soap out, be careful for the eyes and ears and make sure they don't get too cold afterwards.