Kitten's Appetite Seems To Drop?

LoserAndTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel like i'm posting here every other day, however Spock, little rascal that he is, didn't eat as much as usual yesterday, which can happen, I know, but today I give him his dry and wet food, and he ate two bites of each and stopped. He seems completely fine, no vomit, regular litter use, he's cleaning himself, playing, energetic, etc, etc. I'm thinking that if he doesn't eat anymore today, I'm bringing him to the vet tomorrow, rule out anything medical. However I don't know if it's normal? He's approaching 6 months and I know kittens start to eat less eventually when they develop into adults, at which point their portions are different. It could also be the same stunt he pulled as kitten when he didn't eat for 3 days, and the vet's answer was just to give him some different food, which I feel may be the reason here too. Atm I'm feeding him Blue Buffalo dry kitten food and Instinct kitten wet food, any advice, or similar experience, would be helpful.

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel like i'm posting here every other day, however Spock, little rascal that he is, didn't eat as much as usual yesterday, which can happen, I know, but today I give him his dry and wet food, and he ate two bites of each and stopped. He seems completely fine, no vomit, regular litter use, he's cleaning himself, playing, energetic, etc, etc. I'm thinking that if he doesn't eat anymore today, I'm bringing him to the vet tomorrow, rule out anything medical. However I don't know if it's normal? He's approaching 6 months and I know kittens start to eat less eventually when they develop into adults, at which point their portions are different. It could also be the same stunt he pulled as kitten when he didn't eat for 3 days, and the vet's answer was just to give him some different food, which I feel may be the reason here too. Atm I'm feeding him Blue Buffalo dry kitten food and Instinct kitten wet food, any advice, or similar experience, would be helpful.
Your little guy may have a congested nose or upset stomach which could be the start of something. It also could be that he is sick of the current food he is eating. But at around 6 months old I will tell you, from experience, he should be eating more not less. My boys are around 7-8 months old now and they could eat all morning if I let them. They do slow down eventually but if he seems uninterested in his food it may be worth a vet visit. Does he have any clear discharge coming from his nose or eyes? You have to look closely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LoserAndTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your little guy may have a congested nose or upset stomach which could be the start of something. It also could be that he is sick of the current food he is eating. But at around 6 months old I will tell you, from experience, he should be eating more not less. My boys are around 7-8 months old now and they could eat all morning if I let them. They do slow down eventually but if he seems uninterested in his food it may be worth a vet visit. Does he have any clear discharge coming from his nose or eyes? You have to look closely.
He doesn't seem to have any discharge. I'll definitely go to the vet if he doesn't really eat for a while, cause I know it's not good for him, but he seems completely fine, which is slightly confusing. He also seemed excited for his wet food until I put it in his bowl, so maybe he's just bored of it. In his case I know that just waiting will make him eat it again, he's done this before. I'll see by tomorrow or the day after, normally.

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He doesn't seem to have any discharge. I'll definitely go to the vet if he doesn't really eat for a while, cause I know it's not good for him, but he seems completely fine, which is slightly confusing. He also seemed excited for his wet food until I put it in his bowl, so maybe he's just bored of it. In his case I know that just waiting will make him eat it again, he's done this before. I'll see by tomorrow or the day after, normally.
Most changes in appetite are illness related however food boredom is so common in cats as well :flail:.

If he absolutely won't eat and you are concerned about hydration and food intake, you can always try topping his usual food with tuna (in water) pouches from the grocery store as a last resort until you can get to the vet and figure out the issue.

The only other thing I was going to ask, is he prone to getting into things he shouldn't? Like human food, or small objects?

LoserAndTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most changes in appetite are illness related however food boredom is so common in cats as well :flail:.

If he absolutely won't eat and you are concerned about hydration and food intake, you can always try topping his usual food with tuna (in water) pouches from the grocery store as a last resort until you can get to the vet and figure out the issue.

The only other thing I was going to ask, is he prone to getting into things he shouldn't? Like human food, or small objects?
He tries, but we keep it clean when we can. And he doesn't put them in his mouth, only plays with them until he gets bored, which is both a source of stress and relief not gonna lie! We definitely keep him away from human food, because it's usually not good for him, so that's not a risk.

If I see a big change in his litter use and he hasn't eaten by tomorrow evening, I'm going to the vet directly.

LoserAndTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Update: I put some food in his mouth, so that he could spit it out if he wanted, and he ate it and is now sitting at his bowl, eating. Idk why, but if he keeps going like that I think I can safely say that he's all good.

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be related to a growth spurt or he could be teething.
Yes another good point. My kittens eat like crazy. One is food obessed she gets chunky normally 2 weeks before I notice she's gotten longer. After her eating slows a bit.