BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
8B79B9D9-FF72-4FDB-8E0B-CF91C0516F7D.jpeg
A1BA6015-7916-4662-BDD2-8674EF0641DF.jpeg
2E3C7414-90DF-41FA-82CD-BE94774E2FF0.jpeg
B06B6446-B32B-4A4D-88D9-D71DC8C0AC20.jpeg
Hello, I took in two kittens on Friday who were dumped on someone’s porch. Apparently this is a normal occurance in her area but she couldn’t keep them and didn’t want to leave them outside.
They’re very sweet and loving, the male is playful but the female is uninterested in toys. We don’t know if they’re related or just grew up together because their eyes and face are different and the female is smaller than the male.
I’m concerned because the female is pretty lethargic, she isn’t quite aware of everything going on. We do hold her and make her walk around and she does, but she just seems off.
She is throwing up a good bit and she did throw up a spaghetti-like worm which I presume is roundworm, so we administered to them medication for roundworm. I also gave them drops of Homeopet Nose Relief because they’re sneezing some and the male seems to be congested.
They’re both eating and drinking and I gave them wet food to make sure they get enough liquids which they chowed down on.
I also took their temperatures Saturday night and the male was 102.2 and the female was 103.1 which means she might have a slight fever.
Besides the female’s lethargy someone is also peeing outside of the litter box, I don’t know if it is her or not but I also have no idea if at their previous home they were ever litter trained.
They are both confined in a cage separated from the other two kittens we are caring for, so they don’t share the same food or the same litter box.
They also have an appointment at a vet clinic on the 14th of March to get fixed.

If anyone could provide advice it would be amazing, I don’t feel anything is serious enough to take them to a vet but I will if I need to. I don’t really have the funds but I can figure something out. We have roundworm medicine which we use for all kittens (and tapeworm too).

Honestly I believe that the female has probably has roundworm since birth and it went untreated so now it’s pretty bad, but as for the male he probably has it as well just not as bad because they share the same box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve been doing more research and I’m concerned that it could be lungworm, too...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you don't see a significant improvement in the female in the next very few days, I would consider taking her in. She should perk up after worming, if that's the issue, and if it isn't, the sooner you know what is happening with her, the better. We won't borrow trouble here, but lungworm or heartworm is possible. Roundworm is the MOST likely culprit, but don't tanks any chances.

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you don't see a significant improvement in the female in the next very few days, I would consider taking her in. She should perk up after worming, if that's the issue, and if it isn't, the sooner you know what is happening with her, the better. We won't borrow trouble here, but lungworm or heartworm is possible. Roundworm is the MOST likely culprit, but don't tanks any chances.
I ended up taking a fecal sample to my vet this afternoon because I’m worrying myself sick, I’m afraid I’ll walk into the room we have them in and she’ll have passed away. I should get results tomorrow morning so fingers crossed it’s treatable. I’m thinking she has a serious case of roundworm that has gone untreated since she was born but they also are congested, too.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The congestion could be from the stress of a new environment. Whatever is going on, she needs a good check up with the vet to nail down what all is going on and a good treatment plan.

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
The congestion could be from the stress of a new environment. Whatever is going on, she needs a good check up with the vet to nail down what all is going on and a good treatment plan.
That could make sense, I’m giving them both Homeopet Nasal Relief just in case to help. I got the results back from the fecal test and they have Giardia, so I have made an appointment for tomorrow so that I can get them checked and get medicine.