Kitten won’t use litter box

A13438

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys ,
I need some help. I got this sweet little kitty about a week ago , (owner wasn’t able to tell me the kitties she) I’m guessing she is 4-5 weeks? Well, I am trying to litter train her and she will not do itD I bought the scented litter and then change to unscented to see if that helped and it didn’t. She will poop next to the litter box or on the carpet.. I immediately pick her up and gently place her in the litter box after she has an accident.. I tried showing her how to dig in the litter too. Any advice? Or is she just too small and I’m going to have to be very patient :)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, what a precious little sweety! Kittens are supposed to stay with their mamas for 12 weeks to learn manners and how to be a cat, your little one is too young to know! I do know with tiny kittens I get the cardboard trays under cases of cat food, or anything with very low sides. Get clay litter, nonclumping for now because kittens eat litter at times, and pour some in. if they poop beside it, there is something they don't like, most likely the box is too difficult to get into. Take some of the poop and put it in the litter box to give her an idea. don't get mad, just be patient and keep putting her in the box, especially after meals, to give her the idea. don't keep it TOO clean so she can smell it. it is instinctive for cats to use a box, so sooner or later she will get the idea. you could get some puppy training pads to lay besides the box, that will help with cleanup in the meantime. she WILL learn, she is just too young right now to get the idea.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I def agree with the idea of getting puppy pads! I'd also put them anywhere she is going too! Just to help with messes.

We had a kitten who was very young (K.C) -- he was about 4 weeks old when we took him from his mother because she had stopped feeding him (we found out later it was most likely because he was sick, he passed from blood cancer before he was even a year old x.x) but we had a similar problem. My mom would do pretty much everything that di and bob di and bob suggested!

My mom would also gently put him in the litter box when she suspected he had to go to try and encourage him figuring it out.

Beautiful kitten, by the way <3 I send you positive vibes! She'll get it =)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Petco has or had 3 pack throw away litter boxes especially for kittens. Also use yesterday's news litter or paper. It is expected that she will sit in it or play in it

Dearjujubebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is too young to use the litter box.
You might put her litter in the box, the smell might let her interest in the box and slowly cultivate the habit of using the litter box.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys ,
I need some help. I got this sweet little kitty about a week ago , (owner wasn’t able to tell me the kitties she) I’m guessing she is 4-5 weeks? Well, I am trying to litter train her and she will not do itD I bought the scented litter and then change to unscented to see if that helped and it didn’t. She will poop next to the litter box or on the carpet.. I immediately pick her up and gently place her in the litter box after she has an accident.. I tried showing her how to dig in the litter too. Any advice? Or is she just too small and I’m going to have to be very patient :)
Peaches was also tiny at that age but she still made it in the throw away litter box. Never hurts to try. At 7 yrs old she is small 7 pds

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys ,
I wanted to add that since tiny kittens are easy to loose, she once got in a small opening bottom corner between stove and sink. Took forever to find her. Part of the construction. Also I immediately noticed that I had shut the refrigerator door on her! She was very very and very playful
20170418_070141-COLLAGE.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

A13438

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She looks like 4 weeks. As others said very low box even a shoe box lid She will get it as she gets a little bigger. Is she eating well? Sooo precious
Yes she is eating well. She loves to eat!