Kitten Won't Use Litter Box And Pooping Issues

sabrinamcm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 7-8wk old kitten is not adjusting well to the litter box.
Day 1 - got her home, let her adjust, and set her in the litter box. She immediately jumped out. Later that day, when she needed to pee, she felt comfortable going on the towel. However, we can't dirty up all the towels in the house when she needs to potty. I kept putting her in the litter box after meals, or if she was squatting to pee, but every time, she would immediately jump out.
Day 3 - still jumps out of the litter box. We've discovered that she is also comfortable going potty in a plastic trash bag, which is MUCH more convenient for cleaning purposes, but definitely not ideal. We've put plastic bags in the litter box, and she will jump in the box and potty in the bag, but won't step a paw into the litter. So we now know there isn't an issue with the box, but probably the litter.
Day 4 - The plastic bag is still in the litter box, but we've now put a small amount of litter in the bag. She will completely avoid the litter even in the bag. She'll potty around it.
Day 5 - we've changed the type of litter. Still no success. She'll potty in the bag, but won't step in the litter at all, even though it's a softer brand.

This is getting difficult because we're steadily running out of plastic bags, and quite frankly, it's not safe at all. I'm very aware that she can suffocate if she tangles herself in the bag, so every time she needs to potty, someone MUST be watching her. We ensure she doesn't get tangled up, but I am unable to be home 24/7 to make sure the potty process goes well and is safe. I'm worried and concerned.
One time, she went to potty in the bag, but she actually positioned herself over the litter and pooped in the litter. She wouldn't even touch the litter to cover it up. Instead, she covered it up with the bag. Given that the litter was clean, I used my hand to imitate a cat covering her poop with the litter, and she watched me, but wouldn't do it herself. How do I convince her that litter is where she needs to potty?

This also isn't the only issue. She seems to be in pain when she poops. She cries so loud and it takes her a while to poop. On her first vet visit, they gave her some dewormer (the people I got her from did NOT take care of her well). I assumed she was crying because she's passing worms, but recently, it's like she's trying to avoid pooping at all. I'm planning on taking her back to the vet, because she didn't poop yesterday, and hasn't yet today, even though she's been showing signs that she needs to. We've tried rubbing her booty with a warm wash cloth, but that doesn't seem to help at all.

Please, I need some advice as to what we should do about the litter situation. We can't keep doing the plastic bag method - it's very unsafe and she can't be left alone to potty, and we can't always be home to watch her. And what should I do to help her go poopy? It makes me so sad, because I know she needs to poop, and she cries and whines like it's painful or something. I don't know what to do, I just want my little baby to be comfortable going potty ):

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinamcm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Hopefully this helps
How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box

Can you get in to the vet sooner?

How To Help Kittens To Poop
Thank you for your response! I read the entire article and didn't see anything in there that we haven't tried. I'll admit that her box is a bit large, but it is quite short. Enough to where she can get into it on her own. We have tried stimulation over the box, but we haven't had any luck with it. We will probably attempt having our other cat use the litter box, and encourage her to watch. I've left a little poop covered in litter in the box as well, so she can see that poopy belongs there, but it doesn't seem to help. She has a vet appointment in 2 days, so hopefully they'll be able to tell us if she's got digestive issues. Any tips on how to convince her to use the litter?

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Find out what they were using in her previous home for litter. If she's only 8 weeks it could be that mommy was still taking her to the bathroom. Use a box with only 3 sides, so she can walk in and walk out. If your cats are sharing a box right now, get some more. general rule for integrated cats is cats +1 for box numbers so if you have 2 cats you need three. She's also little and probably still shy of the new environment, for now, you might want a box in each room she has access to. Any accidents she does have, solid or liquid, try and get them into the box. Cats repeat the area they use. Clean areas she's soiled with bicarb and white vinegar to remove the scent.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i know you changed the litter, but was it different brand or totally different type (eg. not clay if the previous one was clay)? I would try several types of litter hoping she likes some of it more.
If pooping is painful for her, she may have a negative association with the litter box, so if she's constipated (it seems so), hopefully the vet will solve it and when she forgets about the pain, she'll use the litter box.
She's super young and was separated from her mom and siblings 1month too early, it's possible that she hasn't learned from them on how to use the litter box. She would greatly benefit from the company of other cat, for that and for behavioral reasons. Kittens shouldn't be adopted alone.

sabrinamcm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Find out what they were using in her previous home for litter. If she's only 8 weeks it could be that mommy was still taking her to the bathroom. Use a box with only 3 sides, so she can walk in and walk out. If your cats are sharing a box right now, get some more. general rule for integrated cats is cats +1 for box numbers so if you have 2 cats you need three. She's also little and probably still shy of the new environment, for now, you might want a box in each room she has access to. Any accidents she does have, solid or liquid, try and get them into the box. Cats repeat the area they use. Clean areas she's soiled with bicarb and white vinegar to remove the scent.
Thanks for the reply! Right now, she has her own box in our room, where we spend the most time, and none of the other cats use it. We can try to get another box for her, and that may help. Unfortunately I'm not sure that the people I got her from will communicate with me anymore, so I may not be able to get information on what her potty habits were before I got her. But we can definitely try changing the litter box and getting her a new one. Thanks for the advice!

sabrinamcm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i know you changed the litter, but was it different brand or totally different type (eg. not clay if the previous one was clay)? I would try several types of litter hoping she likes some of it more.
If pooping is painful for her, she may have a negative association with the litter box, so if she's constipated (it seems so), hopefully the vet will solve it and when she forgets about the pain, she'll use the litter box.
She's super young and was separated from her mom and siblings 1month too early, it's possible that she hasn't learned from them on how to use the litter box. She would greatly benefit from the company of other cat, for that and for behavioral reasons. Kittens shouldn't be adopted alone.
So we changed both the litter type and the brand. We changed the type of litter to a corn-fiber type because it's softer and we thought maybe the previous litter was uncomfortable for her to step in, but I'm thinking about changing it again to the Kitten Attract Litter that Furballsmom recommended.
That being said, she isn't constipated. She had diarrhea for the first few days, and I'm assuming it's either because of the dewormer the vet gave her, or the diet change from whatever her previous owners were feeding her. But her stools are starting to look fairly normal now. I do think you're right about her associating something negative with the litter box. What would you recommend on making the litter box a positive experience for her? She actually doesn't have any accidents outside of the box, as long as there's a plastic bag in there but the bag method isn't safe ☹. She doesn't mind getting into the box, but she doesn't want to step in the litter. But we're gonna change it, and see if that helps (: and I do have another cat that uses our room as his primary space, but he hasn't used her litter box. He uses one in a different area of the house. But maybe I can get her to watch him, and use him as her teacher (: It is sad that she was separated from her mother too early. In fact, the people I got her from told me she was 8-9wks and that she was just small. Once I got her to the vet, they basically confirmed that she was about 6-7wks. And that was a week ago lol. I wish it could've been better for her. Thanks again for your advice! (: I appreciate the input.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What about trying a puppy pee pad inside a box, with the litter sort of pushed off to the side so she has a choice if which to step on/in?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we changed both the litter type and the brand. We changed the type of litter to a corn-fiber type because it's softer and we thought maybe the previous litter was uncomfortable for her to step in, but I'm thinking about changing it again to the Kitten Attract Litter that Furballsmom recommended.
That being said, she isn't constipated. She had diarrhea for the first few days, and I'm assuming it's either because of the dewormer the vet gave her, or the diet change from whatever her previous owners were feeding her. But her stools are starting to look fairly normal now. I do think you're right about her associating something negative with the litter box. What would you recommend on making the litter box a positive experience for her? She actually doesn't have any accidents outside of the box, as long as there's a plastic bag in there but the bag method isn't safe ☹. She doesn't mind getting into the box, but she doesn't want to step in the litter. But we're gonna change it, and see if that helps (: and I do have another cat that uses our room as his primary space, but he hasn't used her litter box. He uses one in a different area of the house. But maybe I can get her to watch him, and use him as her teacher (: It is sad that she was separated from her mother too early. In fact, the people I got her from told me she was 8-9wks and that she was just small. Once I got her to the vet, they basically confirmed that she was about 6-7wks. And that was a week ago lol. I wish it could've been better for her. Thanks again for your advice! (: I appreciate the input.
I think I'd temporarily replace the litter box with something simple, like strong cardboard with very small edges (chewy uses them when delivering wet food, but you can also buy disposable paper litter boxes from amazon), I'd fill one with the litter, and the second one with litter AND the plastic bag. After a while of using it, I'd either go back to the previous litter box, or ideally, get a new one for her (I recommend big storage box, but you'd need to cut a hole at the very low level for her, given she's small kitten). The goal is to take away from her the scary litter box that in her mind gives her pain and replace it with something else till she forgets. She may also associate the litter itself with the pain, so you can experiment with changing that as well (I second Kitten Attract). It won't hurt to reward her with the treat every time she uses the litter box.
You could also line the litter box with the puppy pads that are lined with plastics. Or you can buy plastic liners for litter box that I believe are safer that the bag, but it can give her the plastic feeling that she apparently likes. I've never used it though so not sure how similar to plastic bag it is.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of great advice here, I just wanted to add, can you try cutting the plastic bag so that it is just a flat sheet of plastic? That way she can't get caught inside the bag and you don't have to worry about her suffocating.

sabrinamcm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I'd temporarily replace the litter box with something simple, like strong cardboard with very small edges (chewy uses them when delivering wet food, but you can also buy disposable paper litter boxes from amazon), I'd fill one with the litter, and the second one with litter AND the plastic bag. After a while of using it, I'd either go back to the previous litter box, or ideally, get a new one for her (I recommend big storage box, but you'd need to cut a hole at the very low level for her, given she's small kitten). The goal is to take away from her the scary litter box that in her mind gives her pain and replace it with something else till she forgets. She may also associate the litter itself with the pain, so you can experiment with changing that as well (I second Kitten Attract). It won't hurt to reward her with the treat every time she uses the litter box.
You could also line the litter box with the puppy pads that are lined with plastics. Or you can buy plastic liners for litter box that I believe are safer that the bag, but it can give her the plastic feeling that she apparently likes. I've never used it though so not sure how similar to plastic bag it is.
Y'know, I think I'll give that a shot! We'll change her box and give her a second one to see if that works. The paper box idea is a great one and I think we'll give that a try. We'll also try the plastic liners, because she is used to the bag method. And that one won't be as unsafe. Thanks again for all of your help.

sabrinamcm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lots of great advice here, I just wanted to add, can you try cutting the plastic bag so that it is just a flat sheet of plastic? That way she can't get caught inside the bag and you don't have to worry about her suffocating.
We have cut the bag up to where it's flat on the litter, so that she doesn't get tangled in it, so it's a bit safer now then when I first made this post, but not enough to make me feel confident lol. We are probably going to try litter box liners to imitate the bag, that way it's safer (: and maybe even puppy pee pads too.

sabrinamcm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: Out kitten used the litter box and went potty IN THE LITTER for the very first time today!

I bought a different type of litter while waiting for my kitten attract litter to be delivered. However, this brand is an unscented one. Because she had previously not even considered touching the litter with her paws, I moved the litter where a small section was left uncovered, so she could see the bottom of the box. She stepped in the box, played with the litter a little, and actually used the bathroom in it! I gave her a few treats to reward her for doing so good. I think she likes the unscented brand. My kitten attract litter hasn't been delivered yet, but I think we found a winning litter brand.

As far as her painful poops are concerned, the vet said that they couldn't find anything wrong with her, and that maybe she was just vocalizing that she needed to poop. They gave me some more dewormer and she hasn't cried while pooping ever since. I don't know how or why she doesn't cry anymore but I'm happy about it haha.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped with the advice. It is so greatly appreciated. I now have a kitten who is well on her way to being potty trained and hopefully using the litter box regularly.