Kitten Won't Stop Meowing, Is Aggressive, Sits While Peeing

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! I have a little problem... so I got my first kitten about a week ago, he's about 6 weeks old. (He was born on the 11th of Oct 2017) He hasn't stopped meowing at the door at all, especially at night.

I keep him outside. I wanted him to stay in the garden because I have a garden to spare. It's pretty big, I've bought lots of toys and nice house for him. I have a restaurant, so I can't let him in at the moment. He would cry, howl, and meow really loud, scratching at the door, non-stop till I go out and pet him. Starts again when I leave. He'd try to get inside every time, would stand in between so I couldn't close the door without crushing him. He also kneads me and sucks on my clothes every day, I can hear him swallowing, maybe trying to get out milk? I feel really bad for keeping him outside. Afterwards we plan on getting another house so we don't have to always be in the restaurant. In the meantime, any suggestions as to why he does this? Bored? Lonely? Possibly how to make him stop? Thanks. :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A six week old kitten should absolutely not be outside, especially not alone. It is being severely neglected.

Please bring the kitten into a safe room with litter, food, and water. It does not need to leave this room for now. If you cannot do this, you will need to find the kitten another home where it can be properly cared for.

What are you feeding the kitten now?

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He really needs to be inside and needs a lot of attention as he is just a kitten. He's crying for his mother and like it or not....your it! He needs to be socialized and right now until about 12 weeks is his formative time when a kitten needs the most attention. I agree with talkingpeanut talkingpeanut that if you can't spend the time with him you should try and find him another home.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a restaurant, so I can't let him in at the moment. He would cry, howl, and meow really loud, scratching at the door, non-stop till I go out and pet him.
Can you not keep the kitten in your bedroom or living areas? :headscratch: Animals should not be in a restaurant for health resasons, service animals excluded. Do you run a restaurant out of your home?

Threecozycats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are neglecting this kitten by leaving it outside at only 6 weeks of age. Kittens need a lot of care at that age and it’s wrong to keep it outside. The kitten is most likely cold, hungry and lonely. If you can’t appropriately care for the cat (bring him/her inside and keep warm, feed regularly, teach how to use litter box and socialize/play) then you really should consider returning to whoever you got it from. I’m surprised they adopted out a kitten at such a young age and knowing you would be keeping it outside.

Threecozycats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nevermind the fact that a kitten that young being left outside is subject to becoming prey of another outside animal. They can’t defend or protect themselves!

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Either be a responsible person and keep the kitten inside and give it lots of attention, or be a responsible person by giving the kitten a home where he will be cherished and loved. Right now you are basically committing animal abuse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel so bad... I didn't know it was neglection... I'll keep him in the bedroom now. I thought it would be fine because I have walls surrounding my garden, but I guess that's no excuse.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he needs a lot of attention and comfort at this age.

What are you feeding him?

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel so bad... I didn't know it was neglection... I'll keep him in the bedroom now. I thought it would be fine because I have walls surrounding my garden, but I guess that's no excuse.
Please do keep him inside you will probably find he will stop crying when you do. 6 weeks is very early so you have to fill in and be his cat mum .. lots of hugs , affection

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are neglecting this kitten by leaving it outside at only 6 weeks of age. Kittens need a lot of care at that age and it’s wrong to keep it outside. The kitten is most likely cold, hungry and lonely. If you can’t appropriately care for the cat (bring him/her inside and keep warm, feed regularly, teach how to use litter box and socialize/play) then you really should consider returning to whoever you got it from. I’m surprised they adopted out a kitten at such a young age and knowing you would be keeping it outside.
Well... I guess I was very wrong for keeping him outside. But I did give him a shelter with some bedding and toys inside as well as toys and scratching posts outside. I played with him about 2 hours daily. According to the person who gave me the kitten, his mother was a feral cat, the kittens were starving so he took them in and put them up for adoption. He now lives in my bedroom, I've also moved all his toys and his house inside.

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please do keep him inside you will probably find he will stop crying when you do. 6 weeks is very early so you have to fill in and be his cat mum .. lots of hugs , affection
I definitely will!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much are you feeding? The kitten should have unlimited access to dry food and meals of wet food 3-4 times a day. The food you’ve selected is a good one.

The kitten will need to stay 100% inside until he is fully vaccinated and neutered.

capke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much are you feeding? The kitten should have unlimited access to dry food and meals of wet food 3-4 times a day. The food you’ve selected is a good one.

The kitten will need to stay 100% inside until he is fully vaccinated and neutered.
Okay. Thanks for the tips :) I give him 4 meals a day, each one 4 tablespoons.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to make sure he has the unlimited dry food as well. Otherwise, that’s not nearly enough food.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

:grouphug: You're a new cat owner so you didn't know. Maybe when your kitten is much older, like at least a year or so, you can try harness training and take your cat out for supervised walks. Or try a pet stroller.

Okay. Thanks for the tips :) I give him 4 meals a day, each one 4 tablespoons.

Growing young kittens need a lot of food, justl ike Human babies. Feed as much food as the kitten will eat. Kittens can't over eat or get fat. If you can, just free feed the dry food and offer canned food a few times a day.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you have a garden with a high fence there's nothing wrong with letting him go out there when he gets older. It really would be better if it was completely enclosed. I don't know how big an area your talking about but if you could put chicken wire across the top? He would probably be safe from dogs and Coyote's in there but you have to think about Owls and Bobcats as well. Not to mention the fact that he will more than likely be able to get out of the fence by jumping over it when he gets older. It all depends on your area as to what predators you would have to worry about. The next 7 weeks is crucial to his development and socialization. I would try and let him be around as many people as possible, other animals if possible, take him on car rides if possible, anything you can do that gets him use to noise, people, animals, etc. That way he doesn't get spooked easily or is shy when he's older. If you have a window that you can put a cat tree in I would do so. I would get a cat tree regardless if you haven't already. Nutrition's already been covered so I won't get into that. The more time you spend with him the more likely he'll just sleep when your away or at work. I wouldn't say what you were doing was abuse. It sounds like you were spending time with him. I don't know all the details of your situation but if you own a restaurant and are living there too. You do have to deal with the Health Dept. and I know how that is. I've worked in restaurants and in the commercial pool industry and had to deal with the Health Dept. a lot. That can be a GIGANTIC pain in the you know what. Hope this helps!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a garden with a high fence there's nothing wrong with letting him go out there when he gets older. It really would be better if it was completely enclosed. I don't know how big an area your talking about but if you could put chicken wire across the top? He would probably be safe from dogs and Coyote's in there but you have to think about Owls and Bobcats as well. Not to mention the fact that he will more than likely be able to get out of the fence by jumping over it when he gets older. It all depends on your area as to what predators you would have to worry about. The next 7 weeks is crucial to his development and socialization. I would try and let him be around as many people as possible, other animals if possible, take him on car rides if possible, anything you can do that gets him use to noise, people, animals, etc. That way he doesn't get spooked easily or is shy when he's older. If you have a window that you can put a cat tree in I would do so. I would get a cat tree regardless if you haven't already. Nutrition's already been covered so I won't get into that. The more time you spend with him the more likely he'll just sleep when your away or at work. I wouldn't say what you were doing was abuse. It sounds like you were spending time with him. I don't know all the details of your situation but if you own a restaurant and are living there too. You do have to deal with the Health Dept. and I know how that is. I've worked in restaurants and in the commercial pool industry and had to deal with the Health Dept. a lot. That can be a GIGANTIC pain in the you know what. Hope this helps!
Animal neglect is certainly abuse. I’m very glad that this owner is so happy to learn and care for their kitten!