Kitten Wont Stop Eating Cords

s0mthinG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good afternoon,
My playful little kitten Coconut has a very big issue with eating any cords he can find. At this point, I have tried everything I can think of including using a bitter taste deterrent sprayed onto the cables. He even goes as far as to eat around cable covers that I put over cables to protect them from this expensive habit. So far he's cost me $150+ in charging and data cables. I have never had a cat so persistent on eating my cords I am at a loss for what to do now.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of cord covers are you using? Maybe try something like chandelier cord covers from Amazon. Since they are cloth he may not be interested in them.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try PVC tubing from hardware stores. Get the really thick ones. Hardware stores should be able to sell you any amount of tubing if you don't need an entire oll. Slit the tube lengthwise and put the cords inside.

Bored kittens will chew on everything. Provide plenty of toys and playtime. Consider a second kitten. Two kittens can keep each other company.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

s0mthinG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What kind of cord covers are you using? Maybe try something like chandelier cord covers from Amazon. Since they are cloth he may not be interested in them.
That's a fantastic idea. The only issue that I see with that is that he was not interested in the cord covers themselves, but the tiny bits of the cords peeking out of the end(I haven't been able to cover the cords end to end because I need to be able to plug them in somehow haha). I already got rid of the cord that was ruined from around the cord cover out of frustration so I don't have pictures to show how exactly that went down.

s0mthinG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try PVC tubing from hardware stores. Get the really thick ones. Hardware stores should be able to sell you any amount of tubing if you don't need an entire oll. Slit the tube lengthwise and put the cords inside.

Bored kittens will chew on everything. Provide plenty of toys and playtime. Consider a second kitten. Two kittens can keep each other company.
I have been considering a second kitten, and I had recently spent about 30$ on Amazon on a large assortment of toys including one of the round ball tracks and a cat tunnel but he just really likes the cords. I feel that this behavioral issue is attributed to boredom mixed with the fact that he is 4 months and his adult teeth are still growing in. I like all the ideas about tubing and diffrent ways to protect the cords but I still have issues with the very ends, and even protecting the cords is getting difficult as he has chewed through an aluminum braided cable ($30) last week.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo did this when he was a kitten. I've forgotten how many AC adaptors I had to replace, but it was a lot.

Chewsafe will solve the problem. It's clear tubing slit down the side so you can cut it to the proper length and then stash the cord inside it. Mingo still chews any cord left exposed (last one was Roundup), so I've left it on all my cords and cables. I bought 30 feet of it and used about 20.

Cable Ties and More

s0mthinG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mingo did this when he was a kitten. I've forgotten how many AC adaptors I had to replace, but it was a lot.

Chewsafe will solve the problem. It's clear tubing slit down the side so you can cut it to the proper length and then stash the cord inside it. Mingo still chews any cord left exposed (last one was Roundup), so I've left it on all my cords and cables. I bought 30 feet of it and used about 20.

Cable Ties and More
Is it easy to make sure the cable protector fits snugly onto the full length of the cable? The cord that pushed me over the edge was protected all except for 1" on the end and he went right to that. So far that looks like the best product I would be likely to use. I am also considering relocating his home base (food/water and primary litter box) into the living room of my apartment as opposed to my room and shutting the door during the day. I'm also considering getting him a nice friend to keep him company while I'm in class and work from 8 am to 6 pm

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a fantastic idea. The only issue that I see with that is that he was not interested in the cord covers themselves, but the tiny bits of the cords peeking out of the end(I haven't been able to cover the cords end to end because I need to be able to plug them in somehow haha). I already got rid of the cord that was ruined from around the cord cover out of frustration so I don't have pictures to show how exactly that went down.
Because these are cloth and wider than your cordsyou can probably pull it all the way to where it hits the wall or your device. These are six feet long so you might be able to cut it shorter if that is what you need.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can cut it to the length you prefer. It's soft plastic and cuts easily with scissors. For the ones I was afraid he would get at the neck, I cut it a little longer so it would fit over the plug. The diameter is rather large, which is the point. Cats don't like to chew on anything a half inch in diameter. If you noticed, they favor long, thin cords like AC adaptors and charge cords.