Kitten Won't Pee Or Poop?

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You may remember my (now closed) thread about my litter of four with a sick and fading kitten. Two kittens didn't make it, two did. Mom abandoned them and now I am tube feeding, as they are to weak to suckle.

One kitten is peeing and pooping normally, but the other kitten won't pee. I can feel her bladder, which is very full. I have tried a warm cotton ball, a warm rag, running her backend under warm water, and even mom will still lick her when I hold her up. She will not pee or poop. I am very worried about her since I know if her bladder gets too full, it could burst and she will die.

She is otherwise healthy and gaining weight normally, walking, and she has opened her eyes.

I'm calling the vet, but until then, is there anything I'm doing wrong or anyone who has experienced this? What can I do to help her?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
lacy2000 lacy2000

You need an emergency vet to drain her bladder ASAP. It could be blocked by crystals. She may need antibiotics.

How long has it been since she peed?

As for pooping, a drop or two of olive oil in the formula usually helps with constipation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2

I'm not sure how long it's been since she has peed because until last night, mom was taking care of the pee and poo, but just wasn't nursing them. It's been at least 24 hours.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2

Unfortunately the only vet we are allowed to take her to is our shelter's vet. She says to add more water to the formula but I'm not sure that would help considering how full the bladder is...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's a shame. I imagine the kitten is in pain. Can you get permission to see an emergency vet?

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2
artiemom artiemom
The shelter vet does not think anything is wrong with the kitten enough to take her to an ER vet. She wants us to wait three hours. I am very concerned for this kitten but taking her to the ER vet would violate the foster contract and they would take us off the list.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand, that's why I suggested you ask for permission. I have no other suggestions as to what you can do.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So one thing that we decided might be an issue is the bowels pushing on the urethra or bladder, making her unable to pee. This was an issue for my sister's son when he was a baby. We are hoping that she will be ok for an hour until her next feeding, then I am putting olive oil in her formula, relieving her bowels, which will hopefully stop pushing on the bladder.

She doesn't think it is crystals because the babies have been on two antibiotics for a week, so it is unlikely that an infection would have formed and gotten that bad while they were already on antibiotics.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree it would not be infection if the kitten has been on antibiotics. It may well be constipation. Go ahead and use 2 drops of oil.

Is the kitten getting enough fluids? Not enough can cause constipation and dehydration.

How much/how often are you feeding?

How much does the kitten weigh?

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree it would not be infection if the kitten has been on antibiotics. It may well be constipation. Go ahead and use 2 drops of oil.

Is the kitten getting enough fluids? Not enough can cause constipation and dehydration.

How much/how often are you feeding?

How much does the kitten weigh?
The kitten weighs 7.1 oz and we are giving her 7cc every 4 hours. The other kitten's urine was a bit yellow, so we are planning on giving a little bit of homemade pedialyte to them next feeding. I'm just not sure how much of it to give them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should mix the formula with pedialyte instead of water.

You are not feeding the kittens enough. This kitten needs 56cc's of formula each 24 hours, so 9-10 cc's every 4 hours.

You mentioned tube feeding. Will the kittens drink from a bottle or syringe now that they are 2 weeks old?

What does the other kitten weigh? If it has yellow urine it is dehydrated as well. Urine should be clear.

You are feeding through the night too, right?

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2

We have tried the syringe and a variety of nipples, but the kittens just won't take it. We will keep trying to get them to take the bottle, but for now, the tube is working well.

The other kitten weighs the exact same, 7.1 oz, and yes, we are feeding through the night.

We just read the feeding amount off of the KMR container, but I guess I should follow a feeding chart from a more reputable and experienced source.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The amount is 8cc's or mL's per ounce of body weight. So 7.1 x 8cc's = 56cc's.

Are the kittens gaining 6-10 grams daily? If not, they need more food.

When kittens drink from a bottle or syringe, they get used to it and enjoy the taste of milk. They get where they will let you know if they want more.

I'm concerned that the kittens are not learning to eat. They need to learn to eat at some point.

Can you post pictures of them please?

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMG_0273.JPG
IMG_0274.JPG

These are two pictures of the same kitten, the one without the bladder problems. Her name is Ricotta, after the cheese.

So when we went to go feed the two kittens, we found that the one with the bladder issue had passed away. We aren't quite sure what caused the death, because there were many things wrong (dehydration, blocked bladder, URI, constipation). We now have 1 kitten left.

The surviving kitten did gain 7 grams today. The reason we are tube feeding is that until today they were rapidly losing weight. They went from 222 grams to 195 grams no matter how much we tried to supplement, which is when we decided that mom was giving them nothing and we would have to take over. They would not even swallow they were so weak, it would just come out of their nose. Tube feeding is the last kittens only chance until she gets stronger.

She is peeing and pooping normally and we are starting to give her pedialyte. Praying that she makes it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry the one with the bladder issue passed away. It was truly an emergency.

I understand that tube feeding is best right now. I hope this last kitten makes it.

The poor babies have had a rough start in life!

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2

Yes our entire foster community has had a rough go of it. We had a transport of 14 pregnant moms and so far 10 litters have completely died off. The kill shelter from which they came from starved their cats due to lack of resource so most babies were born with issues.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that this happened. Unfortunately, the shelter vet holds all the cards. If you breach the contract in any way, they take you to court. This is in the contract (or at least it's in mine).