Kitten Won’t Nurse

JadeOreo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitten was born around 3:30am and swallowed too much fluid when being born I cleaned face as much as I could and tried rubbing and even sat in bathroom today with hot shower for steam. Seems better today but sometimes I can hear the fluid when baby breathes it has been crying but It won’t nurse I tried putting on nipple and won’t even latch on just ignores it. I bought replacement milk and syringe it doesn’t want that either I don’t want baby to get dehydrated or go hungry what do I do ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lets hope the infant didnt got pneumonia. Pneumonia in such young kittens is usually deadly. Its the most common cause when healthy born kittens dies. The trick to do is to try to slung the kitten if you suspect it got fluid into lungs....

But such pneumonia is usually quick, hours. If the kitten is still alive after several hours, there is some hope.

Anyway, what to do now.

Continue to try with the syringe. its a easier than with bottle. With bottle (or momma) it must be able to suckle. But with a syringe its enough it can swallow... so a syringe is a savior for many weak kittens, and weak sucklers.

Alternatively, you can try with just some white karo or honey solved in the water., and a trifle salt.. The glucose sugar doesnt need to be digested, goes straight into the blood.
Its no food, the kitten wont grow on it, but will survive a couple of days...
Its a way to buy time in some situations.

You can begin with smearing a sweet solution of caro or honey on the lips and gum. It gives quick energhy... After it you do the rest.

Be sure the kitten is warm. Massage it too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the kitten has fluid in its lungs it may die. Its only chance would be a vet giving it antibiotics and tube feeding while it recovers. If not, keep the kitten warm and as comfortable as possible until it passes.

Are there other kittens in the litter?

Are you spaying your female cats?

JadeOreo JadeOreo

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The kitten might not wanting to nurse because it has trouble breathing due to the fluid build up in its lungs. Can you take the kitten to the vet? Ideally, try to find someone with experience with neonatal kittens, but any vet would be good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JadeOreo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will try that thank you!

She is crying after every breathe I am continuing to rub her she has a very loud cry but I stay close to mama so she knows I’m not hurting her. I am unable to take her to a vet but I know a rescue that will take her tomorrow. Mama was supposed to get spayed but she jumped through a screen window and came back pregnant she will be spayed after she’s done nursing. There are 5 other kittens they are doing good no breathing problems.

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
I had the same problem and he just died this morning, hopefully that rescue would want to give him antibiotics bc it might be the only thing that could save his/her life. I went to 2 vets and they didnt want to give him any fluids and antibiotics. Good luck and all the best for the baby kitten ^_^

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I had the same problem and he just died this morning, hopefully that rescue would want to give him antibiotics bc it might be the only thing that could save his/her life. I went to 2 vets and they didnt want to give him any fluids and antibiotics. Good luck and all the best for the baby kitten ^_^
Horrible. My guess is they though he was dying anyway. And giving active help would 1. just prolong his dying. 2. Would cost you good money, in practice for nothing, as they though the kitten would die anyway...
They prob wanted to spare yours money... Which was decent thinking sort of. T

Did they suggested help with euthanasia, pts?

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
No they did not, bc they just gave me advice to keep the baby warm with its momma and just try to syringe feed him. But he died this morning in the nest in a closet

JadeOreo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her breathing has gotten worse and she has her mouth open she did have fluid coming out of her mouth I wiped it away but no progess I am losing hope. It’s so hard to see her suffer

Attachments

JadeOreo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has gone to kitty heaven.

Thank you all for your help