Kitten won’t eat!

sunny091

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just took in a 3.5 month old kitten to foster on Tuesday. She saw a vet at intake and appeared healthy. I brought her home and she has barely eaten anything. I brought her back to the vet on Friday and again, no symptoms of any sicknesses. Now I’m syringe feeding her.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I have had kittens pass from fading kitten before, but this kitten appears like it was okay until I brought it to my house.

I don’t know much about her background- only that she came into animal control on 2/19 from a hoarding situation and was vaccinated then.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good you ARE syringe feeding her! Just to proceed! I expect it shall turn around and she will eat on her own.

What are you giving her, and how much??

I just took in a 3.5 month old kitten to foster on Tuesday. She saw a vet at intake and appeared healthy. I brought her home and she has barely eaten anything. I brought her back to the vet on Friday and again, no symptoms of any sicknesses. Now I’m syringe feeding her.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I have had kittens pass from fading kitten before, but this kitten appears like it was okay until I brought it to my house.

I don’t know much about her background- only that she came into animal control on 2/19 from a hoarding situation and was vaccinated then.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now, I would rub white karo corn syrup or honey on her gums. Also syringe some unflavored pedialyte & clean water, 50/50, into her cheeks, a little at a time. This will buy you valuable time to do further investigative work.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, excellent advices by Catsknowme, especielly if she seems weak or sick, not only having a bad appetite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunny091

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet suggested A/D, so I’m mixed a can into a slurry. Today I used KMR and mixed it with the A/D.

I will try the pedialyte and Karo syrup!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And what amounts you manage to get into him? its easy to give too little... If he takes just little at a time, try to give him more often, so the total amount is bigger...

sunny091

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure how to quantify... maybe 100 ml of the slurry per day?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If we pretend it is KMR, the total amount a day is in the range of 25-30 ml / 100 grammes body weight. If he is say 500 grammes (slightly over a pound), it would give about 140 ml a day....

Im not sure how to count an A/D watered down slurry, but the amount is prob around there too.

sunny091

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your help! After about a week of syringe feeding her, it’s like she did a complete turnaround overnight- playing, eating, etc. We also pulled another kitten from the same animal control a few weeks later and she was on doxy for two weeks. So something must have been going around there.
They are both getting spayed today and will be adopted soon!