Kitten won't eat chicken necks

matai88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How can I get my almost 6 month old kitten to eat chicken necks? I'd really like to give them to him a couple of times a week to help clean his teeth, but whenever I put one in his bowl he just licks it. Any advice?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
does he normally eat raw food?  Some cats don't know what raw food is, so if he doesn't normally eat raw, this could be the issue. 

If he DOES already know what raw food is, but isn't used to big pieces, maybe try smashing the neck with a hammer first so he can have a place to get started on it. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matai88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He doesn't normally eat raw food. What could I do to get him to eat them? Cut them up a bit?

petercotton

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten has been on a raw diet for about 3 months now.  I buy her ground chubs of meat.  I never really see her chew it, just lick it until it is in her mouth.

The first time I gave her a chicken neck was 2 weekends ago.  She is not a picky eater, but did not know how she would react to this.  I put it in her bowl and she immediately started licking it.  She picked it up and put it on the floor and then proceeded to lick it all around the dining room.
  That is all she would do, however.  Only lick, never bite.

Fast-forward to today.  Took another chicken neck out of the freeze and did like mrsgreenjeens said: beat it with a hammer a couple of times. Then I let it thaw out a bit and put it in her food bowl again.  This time she started out by biting at it, so I praised her for that.  She  continued to chew on it, no licking, for about 10 minutes and then walked away.  I was so proud of her for finally chewing something besides my finger. 

I guess what I am saying is just keep putting them out there and maybe he will get the hang of it.  Try warming it just a bit over a cup of warm water before giving it to him; that's what I did.  Like you said, cutting it up may help also.  The one I gave today was much smaller than the first one I tried giving. Other than that, I do not really have any advice.  Maybe something will click in him and he will say, "hey, imagine all the fun I can have gnawing on this delicious piece of meat."

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've heard of chicken necks for teeth, but don't they have bones in them? I'm not educated on chicken anatomy... 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I've heard of chicken necks for teeth, but don't they have bones in them? I'm not educated on chicken anatomy... 
Um, yes, chicken necks are basically made up of bones just like your own neck
There's cartilage and ligaments and maybe a bit of muscle but it's basically just bone. You can Google for a picture of a chicken neck bone.

Some cats just won't gnaw on any kind of bones for dental health and that's perfectly ok
You can try raw gizzards instead or try brushing your cat's teeth with pet toothpaste.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Um, yes, chicken necks are basically made up of bones just like your own neck
There's cartilage and ligaments and maybe a bit of muscle but it's basically just bone. You can Google for a picture of a chicken neck bone.

Some cats just won't gnaw on any kind of bones for dental health and that's perfectly ok
You can try raw gizzards instead or try brushing your cat's teeth with pet toothpaste.
I thought necks had bones but since I've always heard to NEVER give chicken bones to cats I thought maybe it was just cartilage. 

I hadn't heard of gizzards for dental health - Thanks for the info!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the idea of smashing it with a hammer.  You might try just a 2-inch piece at first.  You could also try chicken wings, or like LTS3 said, gizzards.

Also, you might sprinkle a little crushed kibble, a smear of canned food, or dribble some tuna water on it, so the kitten gets the idea that real meat is actually food. 

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I thought necks had bones but since I've always heard to NEVER give chicken bones to cats I thought maybe it was just cartilage. 

I hadn't heard of gizzards for dental health - Thanks for the info!
They don't look like it, but raw bones are soft enough for cats and dogs to easily digest because of the high-acid in their digestive system.  Cooked bones should never be given.  Cooking makes bones hard and they'll splinter...which can cause blockages and internal perforations.

My cats both love a little plate of "baby back chicken ribs".  lol  Actually for the OP, that is another thing you might try...cutting the soft ribs off the breast or back, keeping several ribs attached.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Start with M&M size balls of raw ground chicken or turkey.  After she's looking forward to those treats, cut some really tiny slivers of raw chicken or turkey and give her those.
After she's attacking you over those, make them larger (pinky size).
THEN, give her a small chicken neck pounded.
Then, a week or so later, stop pounding them.

We feed ground chicken necks. There is no good for teeth benefit there.
When he's finished eating, he immediately goes and finds his rope chew toy and gnaws on that for awhile.  (I actually think this rope was advertised as dog floss toy).
I don't know why he chews that rope though.  He's not still hungry, and he sure doesn't know about flossing.

But, the ONLY time he will touch that rope is right after a meal.  And it's every meal.

Last edited: