Kitten Won't Clean His Backside Or Crotch

Lurancy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My four-month-old soon-to-be-neutered kitten isn't very good at cleaning himself. The adult cats will grab him and wash his butt for him. I tried dabbing near his rectum with butter as described in this this thread for the first time today. He was very thorough and hopefully he'll learn this habit over time.

Problem is, neither he nor the adults clean his penis sheath, which gets grimy. Not enough to block anything, just a black stain which really stands out on white fur. Would it be safe to put some butter or something similar (like coconut oil) near or around the sheath so that he cleans it in process? I don't want to hurt him! :fear:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! No experience here either. But, I cannot imagine a little butter on that area is a real big deal to try to get him (or the other cats) to clean the area. You could also help him by using some hypoallergenic cat wipes in the meantime. It would seem like he didn't get the normal 'mom cat training' to teach him to do these things on his own. And, after neutering, all that may change.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A little butter around the sheath shouldn't cause any problems :)

It might be worth a vet check, though, just in case there's a problem in that area. I've never had a cat with this issue (though my girl is very bad about bum cleanliness :rolleyes:), but it's always worth making absolutely sure that all is as it should be.

Trimming his bum fur should help with bum cleanliness. It might help round his penis sheath too, but I wouldn't try that on my own. A vet or vet tech would be the best person to talk to about it, and their experience and knowledge should ensure that no accidental cuts occur when trimming :cringe:

Be Kind To Your Cats' Behinds! Dirty Cat Butts Prevention And Treatment

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lurancy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! No experience here either. But, I cannot imagine a little butter on that area is a real big deal to try to get him (or the other cats) to clean the area. You could also help him by using some hypoallergenic cat wipes in the meantime. It would seem like he didn't get the normal 'mom cat training' to teach him to do these things on his own. And, after neutering, all that may change.
Juan was still semi-nursing at three months, until we caught his littermates and packed them along with their mother to a new owner. She was still cleaning him up so he probably thinks that it's the big cats' job! Hopefully neutering will give him a clue if the buttering doesn't reinforce it

A little butter around the sheath shouldn't cause any problems :)

It might be worth a vet check, though, just in case there's a problem in that area. I've never had a cat with this issue (though my girl is very bad about bum cleanliness :rolleyes:), but it's always worth making absolutely sure that all is as it should be.

Trimming his bum fur should help with bum cleanliness. It might help round his penis sheath too, but I wouldn't try that on my own. A vet or vet tech would be the best person to talk to about it, and their experience and knowledge should ensure that no accidental cuts occur when trimming :cringe:

Be Kind To Your Cats' Behinds! Dirty Cat Butts Prevention And Treatment
Juan had his first appointment four days ago. The vet figured that there was no problem beyond poor hygiene but to keep an eye out.

His coat is short and thin so there's no hair interfering with access. I wish it were the same for my rough collie, she gets messy in a hurry!

Lurancy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh boy, now he has the wet farts while he's sleeping! :barfgreen: He apparently got tired of me waking him up and wiping his butt for him with a wet paper towel that he's washing himself. He's not acting like a sick cat but I'll call the vet tomorrow when they open (it's 9pm/2100 where I am):sigh:

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is an odd thread.
I didn't even know this was a thing, and while I am thoroughly amused, I'm taking notes. I haven't witnessed my 2 baby boys cleaning their parts either, but things look pretty clean (except for one incident of a pink button turned brown). I might have to take a closer look.

Is there a brand preference? Unsalted/ salted? Land o Lakes ok?

Lurancy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't even know this was a thing, and while I am thoroughly amused, I'm taking notes. I haven't witnessed my 2 baby boys cleaning their parts either, but things look pretty clean (except for one incident of a pink button turned brown). I might have to take a closer look.

Is there a brand preference? Unsalted/ salted? Land o Lakes ok?
Juan likes Shullsburg salted so far:lol:

I never saw a cat with such a mess back there who wasn't a fatty or a long hair!

Lurancy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, Juan's poo-farts have been resolved. Science Diet Kitten was messing him up.

Now if I can get him to wash every time-- but he's getting better at it.

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, Juan's poo-farts have been resolved. Science Diet Kitten was messing him up.

Now if I can get him to wash every time-- but he's getting better at it.
Ack, I just started switching to SD (still mixing it w/ their old Kitten Chow) and one of them is making peanut butter (while taking meds to help). I thought he'd adjust but it's been 2 weeks and now I'm wondering if it's just the food.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ack, I just started switching to SD (still mixing it w/ their old Kitten Chow) and one of them is making peanut butter (while taking meds to help). I thought he'd adjust but it's been 2 weeks and now I'm wondering if it's just the food.
Why Science Diet?

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
Why Science Diet?
I was attempting to upgrade on food quality (from Purina Kitten Chow) while still being able to afford feeding 2 growing boys. I also liked that it had Lysine in the ingredients. I'm also feeding wet food- Friskies, Fancy Feast classics, and recently tried American Journey, thinking it was better quality but I still feel like I'm striking out on nutrition and the cats hate it. Of course I bought the big cans thinking they weren't picky eaters and it was on sale..... sigh.

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
did you google Science Diet reviews and complaints?
Ugh... I did now... great, and I had recently bought 2 good sized bags of the stuff. I'm gonna take this to its own thread... I have some other things going on with the cats and I don't want to hijack this thread.

Lurancy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I fed Juan Science Diet because the vet gave me a sample. I've only fed the prescription diet stuff (with a prescription of course) and never used the regular.

juan2018-nov10.jpg

Lurancy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I mean the vet gave me a sample of non-prescription kitten.