Kitten with unusual fur pattern - how to describe his fur?

lavender

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted a gorgeous little kitten called Seth, he was abandoned by his owner when he was a newborn on an industrial site and when the RSPCA found him, his littermates were all dead and he was the only one alive, all skin and bone. Fast forward 13 weeks and despite still being slightly skinny, he is now healthy and very very naughty. But he has unusual fur and I haven't come across another cat with fur like him - the vet even asked if he'd had an accident with some white paint when he saw him. He's not any specific breed (to my knowledge) but I would just like to know a bit more about what could cause the pattern. The cat resue we adopted him from simply said that nothing is known about his parents and that he's a standard black cat.

Here's a close up of his head, it's a bit difficult to see but he has silvery patches on his body (which you can see slightly underneath his chin). And if you haven't have guessed, he is such a poser for the camera.

Here's a photo of him in natural sunlight. The front of him has an orange hue as well as having little clusters of silvery fur which you can see under his chin as well (although you can't see this very well) around his eyes and up his forehead.

Sorry about my other cat Heidi sneaking in the photo, But here's another photo showing the markings which caused the vet to say the paint comment. He has two parallel lines of white fur that starts around his shoulder blades and runs right down to the base of his tail. His fur is black but he has a silver colour to him when he walks around, and when you part the fur he has short fur underneath that's white in colour, while he has longer hair that is pure black. Also the fur on his belly is more silver than black, I don't know if this helps but he doesn't have sleek fur but instead his fur is always sticking up in all directions. I'm guessing he's mixed with tabby from the stripes on his back?

Hopefully I've provided enough information, and sorry if there's any mistakes as this is my first post on this site - thank you :)

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Here's a close up of his head, it's a bit difficult to see but he has silvery patches on his body (which you can see slightly underneath his chin). And if you haven't have guessed, he is such a poser for the camera.

Here's a photo of him in natural sunlight. The front of him has an orange hue as well as having little clusters of silvery fur which you can see under his chin as well (although you can't see this very well) around his eyes and up his forehead.

Sorry about my other cat Heidi sneaking in the photo, But here's another photo showing the markings which caused the vet to say the paint comment. He has two parallel lines of white fur that starts around his shoulder blades and runs right down to the base of his tail. His fur is black but he has a silver colour to him when he walks around, and when you part the fur he has short fur underneath that's white in colour, while he has longer hair that is pure black. Also the fur on his belly is more silver than black, I don't know if this helps but he doesn't have sleek fur but instead his fur is always sticking up in all directions. I'm guessing he's mixed with tabby from the stripes on his back?

Hopefully I've provided enough information, and sorry if there's any mistakes as this is my first post on this site - thank you :)
Welcome to TCS!

I would describe this coat pattern as fantastically beautiful 
 So much so, that I decided to feature the thread in our main page!

Hairs that have a dark tip and light base create special patterns. When most of the hair is dark, we call is a smoked pattern. Where the light is the dominant color, it's called a tipped pattern (like Chinchilla cats have). So, I would say you have a black cat there that is at least partially smoke. The distinct lines on his back are very interesting and unique. As far as I know, there is no special term for that.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
  You have a very special little cat here!   I have no idea if there is a special way of describing his coat, though what @Anne has said about smoke fur is very interesting.  I am guessing that however beautiful and special his coat looks in your pictures it is far more striking when he is sitting right in front of you.  Those 'white paint stripes' are amazing, and all the more so for the interesting texture.

I am excited to see how your little guy grows and how his coat matures, please, please keep us posted!

A little after thought here, if he is happy to show off and meet people once he has settled in with you you might think of taking him along to a local cat show  (most have pet classes).  I am betting a few of the judges at the shows would love to have a good snuggle and put together some thoughts on him for you. 

Last edited:

randomhero1747

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is very cute!! I love the cute patterns/ smokey colors on him. :) Your have yourself a unique kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lavender

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the replies and information! Just looked up smoked pattern and it seems like that's what it is. But it's a waiting game at the moment because with the older he gets the more patterns show up - only this morning I noticed he has some more silver coloured patterns coming though on one of his legs, I just hope his little paint stripes stay, the white fur stands a good 1-2cm proud from the black and refuses to lay flat.
But the little guy loves the camera, as soon as it's out he's posing away, I'll have to make sure I take some more photos as he gets older.

But he's a lovely little kitten and have settled in along with our naughty tortie Heidi, the two of them chase each other around the house and play fight all the time.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's gorgeous!  I'd describe him as a heart-breaker.  I'm in love with him just from seeing his picture.

Margret

lindamc62

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Beautiful kitten!  You'll have a great time watching him grow up!