Kitten With Troublesome Tummy

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay so... I dunno if I should put this here or nutrition. An admin is welcome to move it if it doesn't belong here but I will say I put it here because I feel this is also health-related...

When I adopted my just barely turning 4-month-old kitten, Saru he had a few things wrong with him that I hadn't noticed, nor was I told about by the clerks at the store.

And yes... it was a pet store but this place promotes fostered kittens for adoptions there, they aren't your standard 'pet store cat'.

Anyway, when I got him home I noticed a few things.

1. He would sneeze pretty regularly for no reason.
2. He had what looked to be remnants of former fleas as well as had ear mites.
3. He had constantly had some black blockage up his nose for awhile which I removed.
4. He was constipated and crying from it.

The fleas were gone so I didn't have to worry about that. The mites, hes been since treated for and although he does occasionally get some mild black stuff in his nose its not bad.

The biggest issues I have with him right now comes to he still sneezes every so often for no reason at all--but the vet doesn't think its a big deal for some reason--and the issue thats putting an extra tug on things... if he doesn't get at least two cans of wet food a day he gets painfully constipated.

I have no clue why his tummy is this sensitive.

I know grains aren't good for cats and that eating large amounts of them isn't good for them either because they can't properly digest them. But my older kitty handles at least one can a day just fine with no issue.

I can give the boy one a day to push out the wet food more, but eventually, he still starts to have trouble. Its slower, but it does eventually happen.

I only just barely was able to order some wet food for them, which will be gone in no time since I have to give her at least one a day and him at least two a day. Which means thats three cans a day out of a pack of 32.

I can't always get wet food quickly. This time I was able to after doing some emergency cheap commissions but what I've noticed is within one to two days of no wet food he will start to scream when he uses the box, but with nothing coming out.

I need to know... does anyone else have a cat like this that they would have some clue whats wrong with him? Is the sneezing maybe connected to his weak digestion?

Please help me, I'm worried and I dunno what to do right now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Can you try adding some plain pumpkin?
Can you try making some Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes for this on the internet.
Can you try making some Pedialyte? There are recipes on the internet for this as well, or take a look at this site;
tent test for dehydration and home-made pedialyte recipe - The Daily Kitten

Can you find a different vet?
Poor baby, poor you, hang in there!!

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay so... I dunno if I should put this here or nutrition. An admin is welcome to move it if it doesn't belong here but I will say I put it here because I feel this is also health-related...

When I adopted my just barely turning 4-month-old kitten, Saru he had a few things wrong with him that I hadn't noticed, nor was I told about by the clerks at the store.

And yes... it was a pet store but this place promotes fostered kittens for adoptions there, they aren't your standard 'pet store cat'.

Anyway, when I got him home I noticed a few things.

1. He would sneeze pretty regularly for no reason.
2. He had what looked to be remnants of former fleas as well as had ear mites.
3. He had constantly had some black blockage up his nose for awhile which I removed.
4. He was constipated and crying from it.

The fleas were gone so I didn't have to worry about that. The mites, hes been since treated for and although he does occasionally get some mild black stuff in his nose its not bad.

The biggest issues I have with him right now comes to he still sneezes every so often for no reason at all--but the vet doesn't think its a big deal for some reason--and the issue thats putting an extra tug on things... if he doesn't get at least two cans of wet food a day he gets painfully constipated.

I have no clue why his tummy is this sensitive.

I know grains aren't good for cats and that eating large amounts of them isn't good for them either because they can't properly digest them. But my older kitty handles at least one can a day just fine with no issue.

I can give the boy one a day to push out the wet food more, but eventually, he still starts to have trouble. Its slower, but it does eventually happen.

I only just barely was able to order some wet food for them, which will be gone in no time since I have to give her at least one a day and him at least two a day. Which means thats three cans a day out of a pack of 32.

I can't always get wet food quickly. This time I was able to after doing some emergency cheap commissions but what I've noticed is within one to two days of no wet food he will start to scream when he uses the box, but with nothing coming out.

I need to know... does anyone else have a cat like this that they would have some clue whats wrong with him? Is the sneezing maybe connected to his weak digestion?

Please help me, I'm worried and I dunno what to do right now.
I am confused as to why giving him 2 cans of wet food a day is an issue? Do you not have access to wet food to purchase or is it a cost issue? Wet food doesn't have to have "grains" in it.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also add a couple of tablespoons of water to his wet food and mash it all up. Mingo doesn't drink water and I have to do this for him. It sounds like your kitty doesn't drink enough water too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am confused as to why giving him 2 cans of wet food a day is an issue? Do you not have access to wet food to purchase or is it a cost issue? Wet food doesn't have to have "grains" in it.
Oh I know, not all of it has grains it in. The grains remark was meant more because hes been eating consistent dry food. XD!

And no, its very pricey... from what I tallied up if I got as much wet food as I would need to properly feed him, plus get them as much litter per month as they need it would cost around $85 per month.

I'm on a very limited income, but I was worried that there may be something wrong with him, with as fast as he gets constipated without having his two cans a day...

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can also add a couple of tablespoons of water to his wet food and mash it all up. Mingo doesn't drink water and I have to do this for him. It sounds like your kitty doesn't drink enough water too.
Thats the thing, he does drink plenty. I go in and refill his water multiple times a day. He just can't handle not eating wet food...

I've been monitoring him like I said and for some reason, if he doesn't get enough he gets blocked up, which is why I was worried this may be a medical issue. Like maybe something in his genetics or something.

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Can you try adding some plain pumpkin?
Can you try making some Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes for this on the internet.
Can you try making some Pedialyte? There are recipes on the internet for this as well, or take a look at this site;
tent test for dehydration and home-made pedialyte recipe - The Daily Kitten

Can you find a different vet?
Poor baby, poor you, hang in there!!
I can try but I will see if I can afford it... I don't have much money to work with, so I tend to try and get something both of them can work with.

The vet I'm going to is the cheapest one around without breaking down and using the vet I used to use who I don't like...

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Huh... didn't know there was financial aid for pets... unfortunately that won't help me tho. Seems from the list it doesn't work in my state.

As for the other thing, I'll see if theres anything in it I can do...

The vets here don't allow payment plans, you have to pay everything up front so if you don't have the money you're just out of luck.

I do get help from my mom, tho shes shifted gears on her original agreement to help so if theres an emergency I am at a loss...

I don't have a bank--nor do I trust banks after too much of a bad experience--so making a savings side thing is something I can't do right away. I need to look into more stuff similar to PayPal that don't charge monthly fees for that... tho I do intend to do something like that eventually when I can find a good means.

I will look into the fund places tho that help fund people who need help with vet stuff. I'll see if they can help, tho the original thing I was asking about was if anyone else had a cat that went through this kinda thing so I could know if maybe I'm worrying too much or if this IS an actual issue.

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay so just went to check out the funds thing and the ones in my area don't even exist anymore so... yeah...

Honestly, if I can start making enough a month I wanna invest in pet insurance.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't heard of a cat getting constipated like this before.
Could you call or email a vet and ask them about your kitty?

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard of a cat getting constipated like this before.
Could you call or email a vet and ask them about your kitty?
They would just insist I bring him in to check up on it and I can't afford it...
I might be able to sneak it in whenever my mom helps me bring him in his his Distemper Shot, but otherwise, I'm kinda out of luck... thats, why I was hoping someone here, might know.

Just like my older kitty(the one in my icon) came with dental issues, Saru came with constipation issues... I'm just hoping its not an early lead into something worse right about now...