Kitten With Soft Smelly Stools

Zoya&Zirka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a kitten who is now 18weeks (4.5months) who has very soft stools that start off with a "normal" well formed looking end and it transitions into a soft serve consistancy, and sometimes ends up looking like melted ice cream at the end (one step a way from pure liquid). His stools also smell horrible, if he goes in the night the smell will wake me up (one litter box is in the master ensuite). I got him at 8weeks.

I've mentioned this to the vet every time I take him in for his shots (or his sister ~seperate breeder and 7 weeks older than him). He has been dewormed multiple times. The breeder I got him from had dewormed him at least twice before shipping him to me (I'm fairly sure it was 3 times) and my vet has given him 2 rounds of deworming (with his kitten shots). The vet tech even commented that it seemed a bit excessive considering he was only 8weeks when I got him.

He is primarily and indoor cat, though he loves going out on the balconey (I'm on the second floor), and is only outside when in his carrier or on a leash. His energy leves are fine as he tries to beat on his sister and chase her around constantly (and vice versa). He is growing like a weed and was 5.1lbs at 16weeks and is now the same size as his sister (they are both Siberians). He eats well, minimum 1/2 a 3oz can at dinner time and free range kibble (3 hand fulls of kibble ever 1.5-2.5 days).

He was peeing in the bath tubs (both the master and the main) and has since stopped and has now started to poop in them (he still uses the liter boxes for both peeing and pooping but won't burry any of it ~and his poop stinks, my female cat will sometimes burry it for him).

Any thoughts on how to firm up his stools and to get him to burry them and to use the litter box instead of the bath tubs? (The litter boxes are cleaned at least once every 24hr, somtimes twice a day)

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First thing I would do is get a fecal test done, and then if that shows up negative I would consider his diet. Deworming doesn’t confirm that it’s not a parasite causing the soft poop because dewormers don’t treat all parasites.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
:yeah: Also, just how many litter boxes do you have. The rule of thumb is to have at least one per cat, PLUS one. I guess to solve the problem you could set your boxes directly in the tub. That's actually where we have one of our, right in the Master bathtub. Of course,we never use that tub, only the separate shower next to it :wink:. As far as getting him to cover it up, that's an issue. Maybe once you get his stools firmed up, he'll start covering it. One can only hope.

If he's got parasites other than worms, I don't think anything will help other than the correct medication, but you could try adding probiotics to his regimen to see if it does anything. Many people here use Nexabiotic for their furries. They just add it right into their wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zoya&Zirka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for both of you replying. I only have 2 litter boxes (one regular large, and one huge one that fits both cats at the same time~and yes I've seen them both using it at the same time). He has an apointment on Dec 2 and I'll bring it up with the vet again. I'll also try adding a third litter box, but I'm hoping to train both of them to use the toilet once they get a bit bigger.

I'll have to see if i can find some probiotics, though there isn't much for selection where I live.

Raybabiieex3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten coco is about 5 months old and he too had super watery, smelly poops and he was diagnosed with a parasite that had to be treated with a liquid medicine once a day for 5 days. I think it’s worth giving a stool sample to your vet.

Zoya&Zirka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I just talked to my BF who's at home with the cats and my boy pooped in the bath tub again last night. So my BF quarentiended my boy in the spare room with a clean litter box when he went to work, and my boy pooped on the floor :( and the consistancy is getting more liquidy. I'm going to see if I can get my boy in to see the vet tomorrow...

What sucks about all this is I work in a remote camp on a 2 week in/2 week out rotation... and of course I'm in camp now...:thud:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I just talked to my BF who's at home with the cats and my boy pooped in the bath tub again last night. So my BF quarentiended my boy in the spare room with a clean litter box when he went to work, and my boy pooped on the floor :( and the consistancy is getting more liquidy. I'm going to see if I can get my boy in to see the vet tomorrow...

What sucks about all this is I work in a remote camp on a 2 week in/2 week out rotation... and of course I'm in camp now...:thud:
I would take a sample of his fresh poop to the vet with me and have it tested.

Zoya&Zirka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called the vet's office when it opend today and they want a urine sample first...???

Unfortunatly my BF works late nights and he wound up having to go to the emergency room himself because he's sick now too (tonsillitis and an eye infection). Now I have 2 sick guys at home and I'm stuck in the tundra for another 2 days...

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called the vet's office when it opend today and they want a urine sample first...???

Unfortunatly my BF works late nights and he wound up having to go to the emergency room himself because he's sick now too (tonsillitis and an eye infection). Now I have 2 sick guys at home and I'm stuck in the tundra for another 2 days...
That may be a good idea too. Sometimes urinary problems mask themselves as fecal problems. I hope you can get him to the vet soon.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know he was dewormed, but this case definitely sounds like worms to me. Diarrhea can be caused by many things, but the fact that it smells so bad makes me very certain this is worms.

Ask the vet to do a test for every type of parasite, not just the basics. Normally basic dewormer only covers the most common worms like roundworms and tapeworms. Your kitty may need a different dewormer tailored to a more uncommon parasite.

Zoya&Zirka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so after a few days of trying to get a urine sample, the poor guy has a urinarytract infection. Apparently the root cause is bacteria in his tummy. This bacteria is reacting to the high protein in his diet (feeding him Orijin Cat and Kitten, weruva cats in the kitchen, and tiki cat). The bacteria is causing his intestines to spasm as well. The vet recommended antibiotic shots (I can’t remember the name~I’m traveling and the BF has to take him to the vet), but the vet wants him on Hills special diet for urinarytract (for life). I saw the ingredients list and I’m less than happy about it. Any suggestions?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so after a few days of trying to get a urine sample, the poor guy has a urinarytract infection. Apparently the root cause is bacteria in his tummy. This bacteria is reacting to the high protein in his diet (feeding him Orijin Cat and Kitten, weruva cats in the kitchen, and tiki cat). The bacteria is causing his intestines to spasm as well. The vet recommended antibiotic shots (I can’t remember the name~I’m traveling and the BF has to take him to the vet), but the vet wants him on Hills special diet for urinarytract (for life). I saw the ingredients list and I’m less than happy about it. Any suggestions?
The bacteria is from high protein? That doesn’t seem right to me.

Is there a canned food version of the Hills? I would feed that until he’s better then switch him to something else.

Zoya&Zirka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately I wasn’t at the the appointment this morning as I’m traveling to go visit a family member who’s been in the hospital after brain surgery. I got all the information second hand from my BF. Apparently it’s the high protein that aggravates the bacteria...??? And it’s the bacteria that’s causing my boy’s colon to spasm.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I wasn’t at the the appointment this morning as I’m traveling to go visit a family member who’s been in the hospital after brain surgery. I got all the information second hand from my BF. Apparently it’s the high protein that aggravates the bacteria...??? And it’s the bacteria that’s causing my boy’s colon to spasm.
I am not sure about the high protein. Vets are notorious for not being very well informed on feline nutrition. You may find the information on this website helpful: Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection

What's important is that you know what the problem is now. If you want to go with the prescription diet, I think it would be fine to do so until the problem is resolved. I wouldn't stay on it long term though as Hills is a crappy brand. Once the problem is resolved I would personally put him on an all wet food diet to make sure he's getting enough water intake. This seems to be the most important factor in urinary health issues.

:goodluck::alright:

Zoya&Zirka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is my thoughts on Hills as well. When I got him from the breeder he was on Royal Canin. A friend who does rescue with dogs had suggested that the food I was feeding him might be too rich (she’s run into the adjusting to a higher nutritional value issue before).

The vet gave my BF the impression that my boy will need to be on this for life. I have concerns about that. My aunt’s dog was on Hills for years due to urine crystals, he developed issues with his digestive system due to low protein (kinda scary considering dogs are more omnivorous than cats). Also I’m concerned about the low protein for my kitten’s development, in 10 weeks he’s more than tripled in physical size and has gone from under 1kg to 2.3kg and he isn’t even 5 months yet.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is my thoughts on Hills as well. When I got him from the breeder he was on Royal Canin. A friend who does rescue with dogs had suggested that the food I was feeding him might be too rich (she’s run into the adjusting to a higher nutritional value issue before).

The vet gave my BF the impression that my boy will need to be on this for life. I have concerns about that. My aunt’s dog was on Hills for years due to urine crystals, he developed issues with his digestive system due to low protein (kinda scary considering dogs are more omnivorous than cats). Also I’m concerned about the low protein for my kitten’s development, in 10 weeks he’s more than tripled in physical size and has gone from under 1kg to 2.3kg and he isn’t even 5 months yet.
I would research to see if there is an integrative (or even holistic) vet close to you to get a second opinion. These vets tend to have better nutrition knowledge. If not, I would just use the Hills food until his symptoms subside, and then put him on all wet. I would also do lots of research online and begin by reading the information on catinfo.org. If the Hills food is all dry, I would maybe continue to give some wet food too just to make sure he's getting lots of water.

I definitely do not think your cat needs to be on this food his whole life.

By the way, I went back to your initial post I noted that you were feeding mostly kibble. More than likely, it is the fact that your kitten probably wasn't getting enough water that was the bigger contributor to his UTI. I have never heard of high protein causing a UTI, although I have heard of some vets recommending low protein diets for cats with kidney disease.

You might also find this link helpful: The Paradox of Prescription Diets - Feline Nutrition Foundation

Last edited:

Zoya&Zirka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So it turns out he has a bacteria that produces urease and it also causes his colon to spasm. The vet has given him 2 doses of antibiotics. The vet still wants him on Hills or Rayne, though I have started to give him wet food with a Tbs or 2 of water mixed in as well as very well hydrated freeze dried raw food with a small dose of pre and probiotics. He still has access to the prescription diet but I'm trying to use it as more of a substitute rather then the main component of his diet.

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Re the Hills urinary diet food, I can recommend something much better quality, and a little cheaper as well. Look for Dave's Pet Food Restricted Diet Magnesium & Phosphorus (white and blue label). My cat who had a urinary blockage several years ago has been on it ever since and he pees like a race horse now. :lol: It's a really great food with minimal unnecessary ingredients (it does have brown rice flour and alfalfa meal, but WAY better than what's in Hills), and he loves it. I get it from Chewy as stores here don't seem to sell it. There are other online sources as well if your local pet stores don't carry it.

Zoya&Zirka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yay, with a mostly wet food/ raw freeze dried diet (with some wet Hills c/d and Rayne ssd every couple of days) my boy has a clean bill of health. :)