Kitten With Red & Cuts Round Mouth

Nicky88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

My 6 month old kitten Messi keeps developing little cuts around his mouth and redness around the area. They don't appear to cause him any pain or discomfort, if anything he's getting irritated by the fuss i'm causing about them! However, they are unusual, I mentioned them to the vet last time he was there and she didn't seem that bothered. He was at that point having a bit of a melt down at the vets unable to get out of the cage (we are having to take special precautions with the vet now after the first time he went the vet broke the needle when injecting him, went from playing in the vets to now cowering in the order).

Even though she didn't seem bothered we are going back in a few weeks so will bring them up again then, but just want to know if anyone has experienced anything similar.

He is a bit of lunatic and runs into a lot of walls,doors,feet,cupboards etc. and incredibly loving so rubs his face over everything. Hoping it's something really silly! Attached pictures of his mouth (and also him normally!!).

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be an allergic reaction to something he rubbed against or something he ate. I'd expect it to come and go though if that was the case.

I think I'd see a different vet for a second opinion (and maybe he will like that vet better too). If the other vet is unconcerned as well, just keep an eye on it and take him back if it looks worse. I find in these type of situations taking a daily photo so I can see it over time really helps.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That looks and sounds like a rodent ulcer (or Eosinophilic Granuloma) to me. It's usually caused by an allergic reaction to something in the cat's environment, and, whilst not being too serious, it does need veterinary care and treatment. As Messi is so difficult at the vets, I'd maybe send your vet these pictures and speak to them over the phone about it, specifically raising the possibility of it being a rodent ulcer. Whilst you're highly unlikely to get a diagnosis and meds from a phone consult, you may find it easier to be heard when Messi is freaking out in the consultation room ;)

Alongside this treatment, you'll need to work out what's triggering this. It's not always possible to find the trigger, but if it can be found and eliminated it makes sense to do so. I'd start with swapping out plastic or melamine food and water bowls for ceramic or glass ones and see if that helps prevent a reccurence. Your vet can advise you on other possible triggers, and on the best course of action.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nicky88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you - that's really helpful, I will try get the pictures to the vet!

Thanks

Nicky

Hairlesswonders

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Colloidal Silver spray and Hexarinse. Definitely rodent ulcers, my girl has them. That was the vets advice - she is currently nursing, so cant have steroids and antibiotics (vet treatment for rodent ulcers)