Kitten with parasites - digestive enzymes

CUGal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,
Our almost 6 month old kitten has been fighting giardia and cryptospiridium since we got him at 6 weeks old. It’s been a tough journey. He’s on round four of medications and I’m also trying to do the protocol from little big cat (Giardia Natural Treatment Protocol | Little Big Cat). Has anyone done this? I’m also giving my kitten S. Boullardi. I’m trying to follow her protocol to the letter, but wanted to double check with everyone. So, here is what I’m doing.
1. No free feeding
2. Digestive enzymes at 6:30 am, 12:00 pm, and 6 pm.
3. Meals are followed within 30-60 minutes after the enzymes. Leftover food gets put away.
4. During the meal, I also give him some of the S. Boullardi.
5. He receives his medication at 8 am and 8 pm.
Does this seem like I’m following the protocol correctly? I desperately need him to get rid of these parasites for good!! Please let me know if I need to make any adjustments. Thanks so much!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are definitely trying to help your cat which is very commendable. The website does say that this treatment might "theoretically" work...their word, not mine. They are also leaving a lot of the combining and finding of ingredients up to the owner. Maybe it does but I have always used conventional treatments for parasites. Hopefully others will have some advice or experience with this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CUGal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are definitely trying to help your cat which is very commendable. The website does say that this treatment might "theoretically" work...their word, not mine. They are also leaving a lot of the combining and finding of ingredients up to the owner. Maybe it does but I have always used conventional treatments for parasites. Hopefully others will have some advice or experience with this.
thanks! We are also using conventional treatments. I’m really hoping the combo works because having to keep at this is tough on kitten and us!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Okay....hopefully it will but keep on the vet if it does not. I have usually had good luck with a standard treatment for all parasites, so am not that well informed about step 2 if it appears not to work. Hopefully others will comment.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you also following the cleaning required for giardia? Perhaps he's reinfecting himself :dunno:? Here's an article that discusses how to clean with Giardia in the house: Giardia And Giardiasis In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

I think the added Digestive Enzymes certainly can't hurt. I don't believe they will do anything to get rid of Giardia itself, but should help your kitten with his nutrients. And S. boulardi is good for a lot of different digestive issues, so don't know why it wouldn't be good here. Are they retesting him each time after the antibiotic round to make sure those two issues are still the problem? Have they ever done a PCR to test for other issues, like T Foetus? Perhaps he's actually got something else going on that is causing the problem and he's on the wrong antibiotic? Just a thought, IF he isn't reinfecting himself.