Kitten with odd night time behavior

phoebe2012

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

we recently got a new kitten. Phoebe is a black and white short hair, and is about 8-10weeks old. We have had her for about two weeks now.

At night she will climb in bed with us, we have another cat that sleeps with us too...so we don't find this weird. What is weird is the following... She will start a deep loud purring (for the most part she doesn't purr any other time) and the she will begin to lick the blankets on our chest/sholder and move her paws. Honestly, it's like she is trying to nurse..

I am curious as to why she is doing this.. If she was a younger kitten then I could understand, but after two weeks..she is still doing it.

She is a very loving kitten, as in she likes to be near you, but she does not lick or purr during the day. She normally bites and grabs you in a playful manor.

Anyone else ever had this happen?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
My youngest cat is around 11 months, and she kneads with a blanket or my shirt in her mouth, usually against me, as well. I think it's a security thing.. or it reminds her of nursing on her mother and it gives comfort.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is the most common issue with cats who were seperated from their mothers too soon. You're right, that IS nursing behavior, and your Phoebe is most likely kneading you like you are her mom. Mother cats wean their kittens and teach them to be independent, but if the kitten is seperated too early, they are still stuck with some of those nursing kitten traits.

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is a fairly common behavior (nursing/suckling). I am going estimate 1 in 10 or 20 cats do this.

Out of the eight cats I've lived with throughout my life, only one does this. She started out suckling on her sister. I got them when they were 2 months old. I'm guessing her sister "told" her to quit it so now she suckles on herself, but only if she is in my lap. She's ~11 months old now.

It's totally analogous to thumb sucking in humans. Some cats outgrow it and some don't.

maxkitteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah it's common for cats who feel content to revert to this behavior when they feel, relaxed, content and safe and the kneading action is how kittens instinctively push milk out of their mother's teat for suckling. 

Probably normal. :) Happy kitty!

Last edited:

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah it's common for cats who feel content to revert to this behavior when they feel, relaxed, content and safe and the kneading action is how kittens instinctively push milk out of their mother's teat for suckling. 

Probably normal. :) Happy kitty!

That's what I've always been told too Max!  I've noticed that all 4 of mine have done this one time or another.  2 of my cats do it much more often than the other 2 do but they all seem happy and well adjusted.