Kitten With Litter Box Aversion After Severe Constipation Issues.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a 9 week old foster kitten whom I’ve fostered since birth with her mom and litter mates. Last week, she and her sister went through issues with constipation where they would sit in the litter box, strain, and cry. After several trips to the vet, fluids, and a myriad of medications and oils, they have finally started pooping regularly and with ease.

I thought all their problems were solved but now she has been caught peeing and pooping outside the litter box on the floor, blankets, and beds. Someone told me that the constipation made her associate the litter box with pain. How do I get her to use it again?? Should I try a different litter or something?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, try a different litter, different box, different location - You probably already know this but for any readers/lurkers, don't use any clay clumping litter.
Also, Nature's miracle or any enzymatic cleaner will help...
Good luck!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have not had her back to the vet i would, just to make sure she is not still having problems. That will cause inappropriate elimination.

If she just has litter box aversion then yes, a different litter may help. Many do like the pellet litter, my cats would not have it. some are stubborn. but i do hear many have good results with it.

I recently tried a coconut litter, i have 4 cats, and it was the absolute favorite with all 4. I only got enough to try in one box, and it didn't go too well as all 4 cats would only use that one box for all of their business..lol i used about 1/4 th of the bag, so that it was about 2 inches deep. Its not a clumping litter. scoop the poop and stir it up to dry the pee. With 4 grown cats doing all their biz in it i needed to change it every 3 days, or you get the ammonia smell. they love it so much i think eventually i will buy enough to transition all boxes to it and see how it works. But for any cat with litter box aversion i think it would be worth a try! It is a super soft litter, no scent, and no clumping. should be very safe for kittens. Just a suggestion to try, as my 4 were all so nuts about it.