Kitten With Intermittently Swollen Anus

Thack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two days ago, I adopted a 12 week old male kitten from my local Humane Society. The day after I brought him home, there was a little wet spot on my pants after he sat on my lap. I checked his bottom and it looked a bit red and swollen. I gave him a wipe down and it looked normal when I checked awhile later.

This morning, I noticed him grunting a little in the litter box. I checked his bum when he was done and, again, red, swollen, and wet. I gave him a wipe and, again, it looks normal now. His stool is formed and firm (not hard).

With it being the long weekend here in Canada, the only vet open is the emergency clinic. I will take him there if necessary, but for various reasons I’m not too keen on the clinic. To keep it short, they are known to over-treat. Given that, I would find it difficult to trust a diagnosis if they indicated that it was something serious. If I don’t take him there, it will have to wait until Tuesday (two more days).

Other than that, he is eating, drinking, playing, and using the litter box normally.

Thoughts?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would look to see if there are other vets in your area open on weekends. Some vets are open Sundays and even on holidays, just gotta call around and google.

In the mean time, what is he eating? Water is key if he’s constipayed. Feed lots of wet food instead of dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for replying. I live in a smaller city. I have checked and it is definitely the only clinic open.

He is eating only wet (Instinct kitten formula). His first stool after I got him home did seem dry and hard. This morning, his stool was softer. Between the shelter, the satellite adoption, and my house, the little guy has probably gone through three diet changes.

In your opinion, is this an urgent concern or would I be safe keeping an eye on it?

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
It’s hard to say whether it’s emergency. How is he behaving? You can call the emergency clinic and ask them what they think.

Instinct contains a type of clay that might harden poo. Try giving a bit of plain canned pumpkin with his food or adding extra water to the can food.

Thack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is behaving normally for a kitten - energetic, eating a lot, napping hard. Repeat.

It was pink, not bright red. I didn’t think at the time that anything was protruding, but can’t be sure. I wiped him gently with a rinsed out unscented baby wipe. There was no blood on the wipe.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like he may be constipated, which is causing hemorrhoids. Softer food and lots of water will help. Add water to his food.

I think you can wait until the weekend is over before taking him to the vet.

Thack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you DreamerRose. I will continue to add water to his food and keep an eye on things. At least I have the option of the 24 hour emergency clinic if necessary.

I never know if I’m over or under reacting. Being a new cat mom is stressful!

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he’s eating, drinking and playing, I think it can wait for two days. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Plain canned pumpkin will help.