Kitten With Heart Murmur

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took my 5 month old kitten Logan to get neutered the other day but I had them check his heart first cause he gets winded really fast when we play with the stick and string toy, so I was concerned. Turns out he has a heart murmur which the vet says can happen especially in orange male tabbys. She said to hold off on the neuter for now and suggested going to a cardiologist. My other vet said he may grow out of it and to wait a month or two as long as he isn't showing any other symptoms. Any go through this before? He is perfectly fine otherwise, he doesn't get winded when he plays normally and runs around with my other cat, it's just when I take that one toy out to play with them. Guess we can't play anymore for a bit. Any advice would be great.
Oh we did take an X-ray of his chest to make sure his heart wasn't enlarged or anything and his X-ray was normal. I might go to my second vet who can do an ultrasound on it.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is quite common for kittens and puppies to have heart murmers in the first couple of months. They often disappear at about six months or so. Did your vet grade it? If it is 1 or 2 it should not be a problem . Give hour vet a ring and ask him the grade.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My orange male had a heart murmur that probably contributed to his death when he was 10. I had an amazing experience with the feline cardiologist. I would highly suggest making an appointment with one and getting a level on what you’re facing. They can answer your questions more in depth and help make a plan as to what you can do to help him in the future.