Kitten with diarrhea

Bdurkee20_20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi my cat had kittens 3 weeks ago. A few days ago a friend of ours found a 2ish week old kitten. They tried bottle feeding her for 2 days but she got had diarrhea. It’s like a dark yellowish color. Yesterday she brought the kitten to us and our mama cat took it in and has been nursing her. What can we do to help with the diarrhea? I put a little honey mixed with water and then put a little bit of acidophilus (probiotic) mixed in a syringe fed her 3ml of it. She is eating well but only gained 2 grams today, I think everything she is eating is going right through her. I have rescued kittens for 5 years and know diarrhea can be deadly. Is there anything else I can do to help?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like the kitten has coccidia due to the color of the diarrhea. She needs a course of Albon to treat it. Please call your vet about this as Albon is prescription.

You can mix powdered kitten formula with clear unflavored pedialyte instead of water, and supplement her with this in the meantime.

The kitten should begin gaining weight once the coccidia clears up. Thank you for taking this kitten in! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bdurkee20_20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok we will do that! Thank you. Can this spread to the other kittens?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could, but then you will know at least what is happening and the same medicine - the vet will hopefully give this extra receipt for free (littermates dont always get the infection). If momma is washing her, ie eating her poo, she can get coccidia too. But hopefully her immune system is stronger - it usually is.

Re the suggested pedialyte which is very good here: pedialyte contains also salts, which is very good when they have much diarrhea...

I have now read your starting post, and see you did make an improvised emergency mixture. This apparently works nicely, as she even got up two grams... :) Its not enough, but I wouldnt even expect a raise in these circumstances, just hoping for a stand still.

But add a trifle of salt to this mixture, because she is losing salts.

Another alternative to the suggested kmr is goats milk. You dont need to dilute goats milk, but must add a little salts because of the diarrhea...
You can also use a good powdered kmr, and dilute this with goats milk. Say, 1 part kmr, 2 parts goats milk, 1 part pedialyte.

B Bdurkee20_20

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bdurkee20_20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could, but then you will know at least what is happening and the same medicine - the vet will hopefully give this extra receipt for free (littermates dont always get the infection). If momma is washing her, ie eating her poo, she can get coccidia too. But hopefully her immune system is stronger - it usually is.

Re the suggested pedialyte which is very good here: pedialyte contains also salts, which is very good when they have much diarrhea...

I have now read your starting post, and see you did make an improvised emergency mixture. This apparently works nicely, as she even got up two grams... :) Its not enough, but I wouldnt even expect a raise in these circumstances, just hoping for a stand still.

But add a trifle of salt to this mixture, because she is losing salts.

Another alternative to the suggested kmr is goats milk. You dont need to dilute goats milk, but must add a little salts because of the diarrhea...
You can also use a good powdered kmr, and dilute this with goats milk. Say, 1 part kmr, 2 parts goats milk, 1 part pedialyte.

B Bdurkee20_20
She has an appointment today at 11:15. The lady that found the kitten is actually getting her back once she is old enough. So she is at the vet with it now.