Kitten with crimpy fur- will she be long haired?

ZiyalCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our kitten is almost 12 weeks old, and such a sweetie. Her mum is a DSH and the family we got her from said her dad is 1/2 Maine Coon but I don’t have any confirmation of that and he was possibly a regular ol’ DLH. She’s got strange fur, it’s quite long in some places and short in others, and along her back/sides and tail it has a crimpy texture (maybe that’s just kitten fur!) she’s soft but not silky.

I wonder if you think she will be longhaired or shorthaired once she grows up? Will she lose the crimpy textured fur as she gets older?

Ive enclosed some pics below!

68D9301A-1BED-4277-8630-23C3E359A101.jpeg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's very cute :)

She is a longhaired kitten. The wavy textured coat hairs are undercoat. Her coat will go through many changes as she gets older, and you will see more of the long straight guard hairs coming in, but she will still have the wavy undercoat hairs, too. You'll want to get her accustomed to grooming when she's still young, so that it will be easy to keep her coat in good condition without mats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ZiyalCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's very cute :)

She is a longhaired kitten. The wavy textured coat hairs are undercoat. Her coat will go through many changes as she gets older, and you will see more of the long straight guard hairs coming in, but she will still have the wavy undercoat hairs, too. You'll want to get her accustomed to grooming when she's still young, so that it will be easy to keep her coat in good condition without mats.
Thanks so much! Yes we’ve been trying to brush her and get her used to it while she’s young. Shes just so playful tho that she wants to play with/eat the brush! 😂 I might have to get one of those glove brushes and give that a try!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes. Also, get her used to be bathed.

Shorthairs you usually dont need to bathe. Unless they get really messy or such. But with longhairs it may be necessary - is much more common.
So learn her to manage and hopefully also - enjoy the baths...

ZiyalCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is going to be a beauty Whats her name is she your only cat?
Thank you! ☺ Her name is Ziyal, she’s our only cat. We’ve had adult cats before but this is our first kitten! She’s a smart cookie.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
She is so cute and yes, she looks quite smart. Is it me or does she appear to be a big girl? Now I'm wondering if dad did have Main Coon in him.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kittens are full of energy for the first year If you want to get her a playmate it’s easy to do while they are young I personally believe 2 is much easier than 1 When they are kittens they wear each other out playing

ZiyalCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is so cute and yes, she looks quite smart. Is it me or does she appear to be a big girl? Now I'm wondering if dad did have Main Coon in him.
she’s certainly grown a lot the two weeks we’ve had her- mainly her legs and ears - she looks quite lanky! Here’s a pic of her at 6weeks with her dad

0430893E-1BC9-4D76-B03B-F9996E63054A.jpeg

ZiyalCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens are full of energy for the first year If you want to get her a playmate it’s easy to do while they are young I personally believe 2 is much easier than 1 When they are kittens they wear each other out playing
Oh I am sooo tempted but not sure partner can be convinced 😉 she’s definitely full of beans, two modes- crazy hyper and asleep!

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep! Reading on this site convinced me to get two There are a lot of good threads on it here Search for 2 kittens vs 1 maybe I had to convince someone too Wasn’t as hard as I thought haha