Kitten with cerebellar hypoplasia nail trim

kat96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my beautiful kitten has mild CH.   She was a wobbly kitten and now it is more of a mild tremor when she is staring at something intently.  She is normal in every way and I love her even more because she is special.  One thing I wanted to mention is in regards to her nail trim today.  Our Vet came to give her the second vaccine and after she left the poor dear couldn't jump up on our couch.  She is miserable, I noticed she would jump up and then pull herself up with her paws so now that the sharp nails are gone she can't do that.  I hope her nails grow back in quickly.  I did some research and found that with kittens and cats with CH it is best to just snip the sharp end off the nail and not give it a good cut like you would a cat without CH.   I am learning every day about this condition.  Just wanted to share so that anyone with a CH kitten might consider not trimming as much. 

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for sharing that.  Yes, vets often trim very short because they want it to last as long as possible, but when teaching anyhone to trim their cat's nails, I always tell them to just take off the needle points at least at first  -- so what if you have to do it every 4 or 5 days, it works.  I think that's a great idea for wobbly cats.  Her nails should be good to go in a week, but not long enough to trim again for a couple of weeks.  You should also make sure the vet knows the problems it caused her, not to make the vet "wrong" in any way but just to give the vet that extra piece of knowledge.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gizmo-sama says you should get her a little set of pet stairs so it's easier for her to get up on the couch. ;)